Increase Attachment Size Limit

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
In summary: The size of the image file is almost entirely dependent on the resolution. I don't know what the limit is, but, as a guide, the image I posted here (the one that was 1280x853 and 877 kB) was 4000x3000 and 1.51 MB on my computer. The forum uploaded it at 800x600 and 444.68 KB.In summary, the conversation is about the size limit for image attachments on a forum. The OP suggests increasing the size limit to prevent images from becoming blurry. The other participants discuss the issue and provide examples of images being resized and the potential impact on resolution. It is mentioned that there may be a maximum size limit of 800x620 and
PainterGuy
Hi,

I think it would be a good idea if the size limit for image attachments could be increased. Most of the images I try to use on this forums get blurry because the size limit is quite small. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it is not the thumbnail preview that is blurry?

(random image from my disk, 1280*853, 877kB)

IMG_4650.jpg

Likes jim mcnamara
That image has been resized to a width of 800px.

pbuk said:
That image has been resized to a width of 800px.
But it's not blurry.

Resolution tends to be more of an issue for me with things like graphs and drawings where the aliasing shows up more or the text fonts are too small. But, I don't think it's too limited for my stuff. My issue is that I have to edit the images down in size with a bit of trial and error, since I'm too lazy to find the size limits in advance.

So, what are the size limits?

PainterGuy said:
For example, check the images in the following post. Each image was almost 200 KB but still they got blurred.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-pressure-exerted-by-radiation.1005913/post-6534988
The images have been resized to a height of 620px; this is too small for the text to be properly legible.

DaveE said:
But it's not blurry.
It doesn't contain much fine detail so you don't notice the pixellation.

DaveE said:
So, what are the size limits?
From the above two examples the maximum appears to be 800px wide by 620px high.

Here's a pic that is 4000 x 3000 on my computer
Laos house.jpg

Yep, it gets resized to 800 x 600

• Informative
Likes berkeman
PainterGuy said:
For example, check the images in the following post. Each image was almost 200 KB but still they got blurred.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-pressure-exerted-by-radiation.1005913/post-6534988
I don't think there's any way that's the fault of the forum. I believe I can post a pic with similar sized font and it will not be so blurry. Let's try:

1.jpg

That looks a bit more blurred than I expected but nothing like what you are experiencing.

Did you up-size your image before uploading it?

Here's a comparison of the two:
2.jpg

See ... there's nothing wrong with the forum but there IS something wrong with your image. I think you are confusing file size with resolution. Your image HAS to be low resolution (which has nothing to do really, with file size) before you uploaded it since, as you can clearly see, the forum does NOT make an image fuzzy/blurry the way yours is.

Last edited:
Likes DaveE
phinds said:
Here's a pic that is 4000 x 3000 on my computer
View attachment 288412

Yep, it gets resized to 800 x 600
Thanks! Good to know. I mostly recall my images getting rejected, not resized.

PainterGuy said:
In the posting, https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-pressure-exerted-by-radiation.1005913/post-6534988, which I linked in post #4 above, the image with:

light brownish background is 32.09 KB and resolution is 596x1027
white background is 269.68 KB and resolution is 834x1274
That's not the resolution, it's the SIZE. At that size, the resolution could be 200 DPI or it could be 24 DPI. THAT would be the resolution.

I suspect that PF has a standard resolution but that's irrelevant. What is relevant is the resolution of the image you upload. If you upload an image w/ 24DPI resolution and PF shows it at 72 DPI it's still going to look like crap.

For example, here are stats showing the size of an image (which you called the resolution, which it is not) and the actual resolution

1630495471686.png

EDIT: and one more thing: if you take a hi resolution image of a blurred pic, it will stay blurred.

Last edited:
DaveE said:
My issue is that I have to edit the images down in size with a bit of trial and error ...
OOPS ... this post was based on my mistaken assumption that I was addressing the OP. Sorry.

And when you do that you are probably reducing the resolution (which, as I have already pointed out is not tied directly to size **). What tool are you using to reduce the image size.

** just for clarity, the FILE size is tied to the resolution. If you keep the dimension the same but reduce the resolution, the file size goes down.

Last edited:
DaveE said:
Thanks! Good to know. I mostly recall my images getting rejected, not resized.
There's probably a file size limit as well as an image size limit.

1. What is the purpose of increasing attachment size limit?

The purpose of increasing attachment size limit is to allow for larger files to be attached to emails or other forms of electronic communication. This can be useful for sending large documents, images, or videos that would otherwise be too large to attach.

2. How do I increase the attachment size limit?

The process for increasing the attachment size limit may vary depending on the specific system or platform being used. In general, it involves accessing the settings or preferences for the email or communication service and adjusting the attachment size limit to a desired amount.

3. Are there any limitations to increasing the attachment size limit?

Yes, there are often limitations to how much the attachment size limit can be increased. This is typically determined by the capabilities of the system or platform, as well as any restrictions set by the provider or administrator.

4. Will increasing the attachment size limit affect the performance of my device or system?

Increasing the attachment size limit may have an impact on the performance of your device or system, particularly if you are sending or receiving large files. It is important to consider the capabilities of your device and network before increasing the attachment size limit.

5. Are there any security concerns with increasing the attachment size limit?

There may be security concerns with increasing the attachment size limit, as larger files may be more susceptible to viruses or malware. It is important to have proper security measures in place, such as virus scanning software, to protect against potential threats.