Calculating Electric Potential with Method of Images

In summary, the conversation discusses a numerical problem involving charge density and determining the electric potential at a given point above an infinite, grounded conducting plane. The method of Images is used, where a charge of opposite sign is placed below the conducting plane to calculate the potential. However, there is confusion over the correct boundary conditions and the results obtained are the same as if the mirror charge was ignored. A one-dimensional problem is discussed and the correct Green's function is derived. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to integrate the given charge distribution numerically to find the solution.
aaaa202
I'm solving a problem numerically where I have some charge density above an infinite, grounded conducting plane and want to determine the electrical potential at a given point. My intuition says that this is not simply given by the potential of the charge density above the plane, since this will also attract charges of opposite sign to the grounded plane.
To solve the problem I employ the method of Images such that the same charge density with opposite sign is found below the conducting plane. I then wish to calculate the electric potential. To do so I use Poissons equation:
2φ = -ρ/ε
From this I can find the charge density by inverting the laplacian, which I have in matrix form (remember all this is done numerically, my density is a vector of values).
The problem with doing so is that I get the exact same potential, as I would if I had just ignored the mirror charge distribution and worked with only the original charge distribution (which I guess is not so surprising). But I am pretty sure this is wrong. If you for example do the problem with a point charge above the grouned plane it is easy to see, that the mirrored charge will affect the potential.
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the method of images but, drawing some pics on the back of an envelope and mulling over it, it seems to me that we need to calculate the vertical and horizontal components of the electric field separately.
I think the horizontal component would be the same as calculated by ignoring the conducting plate and assuming a charge of opposite sign at the mirror image position.
But in calculating the vertical component I think the assumed image charge should have the same sign. Why? Because the field needs to be zero everywhere on the plane, and only a same sign charge will achieve that in the vertical direction.

DId you take the boundary condition (at the grounded plate ##\vec E = E\perp##) into consideration ?

hmm no, but how should I do that? I thought that was automatically taken care of by the mirror charge density.

aaaa202 said:
The problem with doing so is that I get the exact same potential, as I would if I had just ignored the mirror charge distribution
This is highly suspicious. What do you get when you use just one charge and one (opposite polarity) mirror charge ? You should get a dipole field, but according to your statement the mirror charge is ignored ?

aaaa202 said:
hmm no, but how should I do that? I thought that was automatically taken care of by the mirror charge density.
Well, apparently you don't get V = 0 on the grounded plate.

I do. I get the following results. I mirror the charge density on the grounded plane at x=0. I then calculate the electrostatic potential by inverting the second order derivative in Poissons equation. The problem is that I get the exact same potential as I would have, if I had simply ignored the mirror charge density. In the case I work on the domain of only the positive position values above and invert the second order derivative given by the usual matrix expression for this in the finite element method. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Electrondensity.png
    Electrondensity.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 408
  • Potential.png
    Potential.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 323
What are we looking at ? Position in which direction ?
A drawing, perhaps?
I sure don't expecet pictures like that !

Well my problem is one dimensional so call the position whatever coordinate you like, say x. The direction is normal to the grounded plane at x=0.

One dimensional ? You are solving $${d^2\phi\over dx^2}=-\rho(x)/\epsilon_0 $$ ? What rho and what boundary conditions ?

My rho is the part of the density of the picture defined on positive positive values. It is a vector of values, i.e. the problem is numeric.

I don't understand what you mean by "onedimensional problem". In 3D it's straight forward.

Let's take the ##xy## plane as your conducting infinite plate with some charge distribution at ##z>0## and none at ##z<0##. Then your potential is ##V(\vec{x})=0## for ##z<0##, and we have to solve the problem for the half-space ##z>0## with the boundary condition ##V(\vec{x})|_{z=0}=0##.

First we construct the Green's function of this problem, i.e., the potential for a unit charge at ##\vec{x}'##, fullfilling
$$G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')=-\delta(\vec{x}-\vec{x}'), \quad z'>0, \quad G(\vec{x},\vec{x}')|_{z \geq 0}=0.$$
Then your problem is solved by
$$V(\vec{x})=\int_{z'>0} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' G(\vec{x},\vec{x}') \rho(\vec{x}'),$$
because then
$$\Delta V(\vec{x})=-\rho(\vec{x}), \quad V(\vec{x})|_{z \leq 0}=0.$$
To find ##G##, indeed the image-charge method is very convenient in this case, because obviously you get the correct boundary condition by just putting a unit charge at the mirror point ##(x',y',-z')## in the lower plane. Then for any ##\vec{x}## in the upper plane the potential reads
$$G(\vec{x},\vec{x}') = \frac{1}{4 \pi \sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2}}-\frac{1}{4 \pi \sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z+z')^2}}.$$
Now you only need to integrate your given charge distribution (perhaps numerically).

aaaa202 said:
My rho is the part of the density of the picture defined on positive positive values. It is a vector of values, i.e. the problem is numeric.
Well, you found the solution. So what is the problem ?
BvU said:
What rho and what boundary conditions ?
Apparently let you ##\rho## be approximatey constant and V = 0 at 0 and at ##\pm## 20 nm (why is that ?)

1. How do you calculate electric potential using the method of images?

The method of images is a technique used to calculate electric potential in a system of charged objects. To use this method, you first need to determine the positions and charges of all the objects in the system. Then, you can use a mathematical formula to calculate the electric potential at any point in the system. This formula involves summing up the contributions from each individual charge, taking into account the distances between the charges and the point of interest.

2. What is the principle behind the method of images?

The method of images is based on the principle of superposition, which states that the total potential at a point in space is equal to the sum of the potentials from each individual charge. In other words, the electric potential at a given point is the result of all the charges in the system acting together.

3. Can the method of images be used to calculate electric potential in all systems?

No, the method of images is only applicable to systems with a specific geometry, such as a point charge near a grounded conducting plane. This technique relies on the symmetry of the system and the boundary conditions, so it may not be suitable for more complex systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using the method of images?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the method of images. As mentioned before, it can only be used for certain geometries and boundary conditions. Additionally, the method assumes that the charges in the system are stationary and at rest. If there are moving charges or changing electric fields, this method may not be accurate.

5. Is the method of images commonly used in scientific research?

Yes, the method of images is a widely used technique in scientific research, particularly in the field of electromagnetism. It has applications in various areas such as electrostatics, electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics. This method allows for quick and efficient calculations of electric potential in specific systems, making it a valuable tool for many scientists and engineers.