Imaginary part of complex number (first post)

In summary, to find the imaginary part of the function C = A*e^(-i*wt)*sin(k*x), use Euler's formula eiθ = cos(θ) + i sin(θ) to expand the expression and then simplify it. The coefficient of i will be the imaginary part of C. After substituting the expanded expression back into the original, use the distributive law of multiplication to expand the brackets. The resulting expression will be of the form C = R + iI, where I is the imaginary part of C.
bfed

Homework Statement

C=A*e^(-i*wt)*sin(k*x); A,w,t,k,x are real numbers. Find imaginary part.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im(C)=cos(wt)-i*sin(wt)

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Euler's formula e = cos(θ) + i sin(θ), and then simplify the resulting expression. The coefficient of i will be the imaginary part of C.

so then the imaginary party would be sin(wt)?

and what happens to the A in the function?

No, that's not right. What is the expression you got after using Euler's formula to expand C?

e^(-iwt)=cos(wt)-i*sin(wt) is how I think to the Euler formula...

then do i substitute it back into the original expression?

Yes, substitue it back into the original expression, and then expand out the brackets using the distributive law of multiplication, i.e. A(B + C) = AB + AC.

Then you will have an expression of the form C = R + iI, and I is the imaginary part of C.

so...

C=A*cos(wt)*sin(kx)-i*A*sin(wt)*sin(kx)

Re(C)=A*cos(wt)*sin(kx)
and
Im(C)=-A*sin(wt)*sin(kx)

is this the proper solution?

And thanks dx

Yep, that's right.

good stuff much appreciated dx

1. What is the definition of the imaginary part of a complex number?

The imaginary part of a complex number is the part of the number that includes the imaginary unit, i, multiplied by a real number. It is often represented as b in the complex number a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you find the imaginary part of a complex number?

To find the imaginary part of a complex number, you simply take the coefficient of i in the complex number's expression. For example, in the complex number 3 + 2i, the imaginary part is 2.

3. What is the purpose of the imaginary part in complex numbers?

The imaginary part allows for the representation of numbers that cannot be expressed as real numbers. It also allows for the solution of certain mathematical problems that cannot be solved with real numbers alone. Additionally, the imaginary part is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

4. Can the imaginary part of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the imaginary part of a complex number can be negative. This simply means that the imaginary component of the number is being subtracted from the real component. For example, in the complex number 5 - 3i, the imaginary part is -3.

5. Is the imaginary part of a complex number always necessary?

No, the imaginary part of a complex number is not always necessary. If the imaginary part is 0, then the number is simply a real number. However, in many cases, the imaginary part is essential in representing and solving certain mathematical problems.