1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impedance and Admittance: Find the current given an RLC circuit w/ Vs = 50cos(200t) V

1. Apr 3, 2007 #1
    Impedance and Admittance: Find Vs given Io in a circuit with 2 caps,2 inductors,2res

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find [itex]V_s[/itex] if [itex]I_0\,=\,2\angle0\deg[/itex] A.

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

KCL, KVL

3. The attempt at a solution

I made a new diagram:

[​IMG]

But how do I combine the left hand equivalent impedance, so that the final circuit to work on would be this:

[​IMG]

[tex]\frac{1}{Z_3}\,=\,\frac{1}{Z_1}\,+\,\frac{1}{j4\Omega}\,=\,\frac{1}{2\,+\,2j}\,+\,\frac{1}{4j}[/tex]

Figuring [itex]V_o[/itex]:

[tex]V_o\,=\,I_o\,Z_2\,=\,\left(2\angle0\right)\left(2\angle45\right)\,=\,4\angle45[/tex]

[tex]I_L\,=\,\frac{V_0}{j2}\,=\,\frac{4\angle45}{\sqrt{2}\angle63.43}\,=\,\frac{4}{\sqrt{2}}\angle-18.43[/tex]

[tex]I_1\,=\,-\left(I_L\,+\,I_0\right)\,=-\left[\,\left(\frac{4}{\sqrt{2}}\angle-18.43\right)\,+\,\left(2\angle0\right)\right][/tex]

[tex]V_1\,=\,I_1\,Z_1[/tex]

I need this to find [itex]V_s[/itex].

[tex]V_s\,=\,V_1\,-\,V_0[/tex]

How do I finish? Please help!!!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2
    I did the calculations and conversions of complex rectangular to polar and got this as a final answer:

[tex]V_S\,=\,9.581\,cos\left(t\,+\,29.70)[/tex]

Does that look right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?