Solve Impedance Problem: 50nF Capacitor & 47kΩ Resistor

• Thread starter k31453
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the conversation is about a circuit with a 50nF capacitor and a 47kΩ resistor. An AC voltage of 120Vrms at 350Hz is applied to the circuit. The question is to determine the current flowing through the circuit and to sketch the impedance diagram. The student attempted to find the solution by first calculating Xc using the formula 1/2*pi*f*C and then using the impedance diagram to find Z. However, the answer given in the conversation is different from the one the student got, leading to confusion. The expert advises the student to check their lecture notes or books and reminds them to use parentheses when writing equations.
k31453

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of a 50nF capacitor in series with a 47kΩ resistor. An AC voltage of 120Vrms at
350Hz is applied to the circuit.

(a) Determine the current flowing through the circuit.
(b) Sketch the impedance diagram for the circuit at this frequency.

Homework Equations

Xc , diagram , V = IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

First i found Xc = 1/2* pi* f * C

Then i did impedence diagram to find z and then use V = IZ to find Z

I got the answer: 2.51mA

But why it says answer is : 3.545sin(700π+11^0)mA ?

Physics news on Phys.org
k31453 said:

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of a 50nF capacitor in series with a 47kΩ resistor. An AC voltage of 120Vrms at
350Hz is applied to the circuit.

(a) Determine the current flowing through the circuit.
(b) Sketch the impedance diagram for the circuit at this frequency.

Homework Equations

Xc , diagram , V = IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

First i found Xc = 1/2* pi* f * C

That is wrong. Check your lecture notes or books.

ehild

ehild said:
That is wrong. Check your lecture notes or books.

ehild

isnt it Xc = 1/ angular freq.* C ??

k31453 said:
isnt it Xc = 1/ angular freq.* C ??

Xc = 1/ angular freq.* C means 1/angular frequency, multiplied by C. Use parentheses: Xc=-1/(ωC) and do not forget, that Xc is negative.

Show your work in detail.

ehild

Your calculation of 2.51mA for the current flowing through the circuit is correct. However, the given answer of 3.545sin(700π+11^0)mA is not the same thing. It is giving the current as a sinusoidal function with a phase angle of 11 degrees, rather than a constant value of 2.51mA. This may be a more accurate representation of the current in the circuit, taking into account the AC voltage applied.

1. What is impedance?

Impedance refers to the total opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is a combination of resistance, capacitance, and inductance.

2. How do I calculate impedance?

To calculate impedance, you can use the formula Z = √(R² + Xc²), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, and Xc is the reactance of a capacitor. In this case, Xc = -1/(2πfC), where f is the frequency and C is the capacitance.

3. What is the impedance of a 50nF capacitor and a 47kΩ resistor in series?

To calculate the total impedance of a capacitor and resistor in series, you can simply add their individual impedances together. In this case, the total impedance would be Z = 47kΩ + Xc, where Xc = -1/(2πfC) and f is the frequency of the AC current.

4. How do I solve an impedance problem with a 50nF capacitor and a 47kΩ resistor in parallel?

To solve an impedance problem with components in parallel, you can use the formula Z = 1/(1/R + 1/Xc), where Z is the total impedance, R is the resistance, and Xc is the reactance of the capacitor. In this case, Xc = -1/(2πfC) and f is the frequency of the AC current.

5. What is the significance of the 50nF capacitor and 47kΩ resistor in the impedance problem?

The 50nF capacitor and 47kΩ resistor are components in the circuit that contribute to the overall impedance. The values of these components affect the total impedance of the circuit and can be manipulated to achieve desired results, such as filtering or frequency response.