1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Graphing

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    Graphing Implicit Function

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Graph (x^2+Y^2)^2=4xy
    A)Find Y'
    B)Find all points that have vertical tangent lines.
    C)Find all points that have horizontal tangent lines.

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel like I'm going nuts on this problem, y' is (-x^3-xy^2+y)/(y^3+x^2y-x) right?
    I used a graphing program and it looks like an 8 reflected over y=x, but I just can't understand why I'm not getting the right answers for the HTL and the VTL.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your derivative is correct. Try factoring an x out of the first two terms of the numerator and a y out of the first two terms of the denominator and replace the x2 + y2 with square root of 4xy from the original equation and see if that helps.

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    alright ill give it a try

5. Nov 7, 2009 #4
    Im still getting stumped, if I do that, I can turn the top half into y=4x^3, and the bottom half into x=4y^3, but obviously those wont give me an answers, Ive looked at the graph and there are HTL at (+-.66,+-1.16) and VTL at (+-1.16,+-.66)

6. Nov 7, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Vertical tangent lines are where the denominator of the derivative, [itex]y^3+x^2y-x[/itex] is 0 and horizontal tangent lines are where the numerator of the derivative, [itex]-x^3-xy^2+y[/itex] is 0. For each of those, you still have [itex](x^2+y^2)^2=4xy[/itex] so in each case you have two equations to solve for x and y.

For vertical tangent lines solve the system
    [itex]y^3+x^2y-x= 0[/itex]
    [itex](x^2+y^2)^2=4xy[/itex].

For horizontal tangent lines solve the system
    [itex]-x^3-xy^2+y= 0[/itex]
    [itex](x^2+y^2)^2=4xy[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  7. Nov 7, 2009 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

You're on the right track. For the horizontal asymptote given as [itex]y=4x^3[/itex] you need to solve is simultaneously with the curve [itex](x^2+y^2)^2=4xy[/itex] as hallsofivy has said.
    Same thing goes for the vertical asymptote.

8. Nov 7, 2009 #7
    ahh ill give it another try, thanks guys

9. Nov 7, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A little additional point: The first equation for vertical tangent lines can be written as [itex]y^3+ x^2y- x= y(y^2+ x^2)- y= 0[/itex] so [itex]x^2+ y^2= y/y= 1[/itex]

10. Nov 7, 2009 #9
    I had to talk a little break from it but I just came back to it and got it right, thanks pf!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook