Graphing Implicit Function: Find HTL & VTL

In summary, the student was trying to solve an equation for the horizontal and vertical tangent lines. They used a graphing program and found that the equation was correct. They then factored out an x from the numerator and y from the denominator and replaced them with square root of 4xy. This yielded two equations to solve for x and y.
Light bulb
Graphing Implicit Function

Homework Statement

Graph (x^2+Y^2)^2=4xy
A)Find Y'
B)Find all points that have vertical tangent lines.
C)Find all points that have horizontal tangent lines.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm going nuts on this problem, y' is (-x^3-xy^2+y)/(y^3+x^2y-x) right?
I used a graphing program and it looks like an 8 reflected over y=x, but I just can't understand why I'm not getting the right answers for the HTL and the VTL.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Light bulb said:

Homework Statement

Graph (x^2+Y^2)^2=4xy
A)Find Y'
B)Find all points that have vertical tangent lines.
C)Find all points that have horizontal tangent lines.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm going nuts on this problem, y' is (-x^3-xy^2+y)/(y^3+x^2y-x) right?
I used a graphing program and it looks like an 8 reflected over y=x, but I just can't understand why I'm not getting the right answers for the HTL and the VTL.

Your derivative is correct. Try factoring an x out of the first two terms of the numerator and a y out of the first two terms of the denominator and replace the x2 + y2 with square root of 4xy from the original equation and see if that helps.

alright ill give it a try

Im still getting stumped, if I do that, I can turn the top half into y=4x^3, and the bottom half into x=4y^3, but obviously those won't give me an answers, I've looked at the graph and there are HTL at (+-.66,+-1.16) and VTL at (+-1.16,+-.66)

Vertical tangent lines are where the denominator of the derivative, [itex]y^3+x^2y-x[/itex] is 0 and horizontal tangent lines are where the numerator of the derivative, [itex]-x^3-xy^2+y[/itex] is 0. For each of those, you still have [itex](x^2+y^2)^2=4xy[/itex] so in each case you have two equations to solve for x and y.

For vertical tangent lines solve the system
[itex]y^3+x^2y-x= 0[/itex]
[itex](x^2+y^2)^2=4xy[/itex].

For horizontal tangent lines solve the system
[itex]-x^3-xy^2+y= 0[/itex]
[itex](x^2+y^2)^2=4xy[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
You're on the right track. For the horizontal asymptote given as [itex]y=4x^3[/itex] you need to solve is simultaneously with the curve [itex](x^2+y^2)^2=4xy[/itex] as hallsofivy has said.
Same thing goes for the vertical asymptote.

ahh ill give it another try, thanks guys

A little additional point: The first equation for vertical tangent lines can be written as [itex]y^3+ x^2y- x= y(y^2+ x^2)- y= 0[/itex] so [itex]x^2+ y^2= y/y= 1[/itex]

I had to talk a little break from it but I just came back to it and got it right, thanks pf!

1. What is an implicit function?

An implicit function is a mathematical function that is not expressed explicitly in terms of its variables. This means that the relationship between the variables is not directly stated, but rather implied through an equation or set of equations.

2. How do you graph an implicit function?

To graph an implicit function, you can use a graphing calculator or an online graphing tool. First, rearrange the equation to isolate one variable on one side of the equation. Then, plug in various values for the remaining variable and plot the corresponding points on the graph. Repeat this process for different values of the remaining variable until you have a good representation of the graph.

3. What is HTL and VTL in relation to implicit functions?

HTL stands for horizontal tangent line and VTL stands for vertical tangent line. In the context of implicit functions, these refer to the points on the graph where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical, respectively. These points can be found by taking the derivative of the implicit function and setting it equal to 0.

4. How do you find the HTL and VTL of an implicit function?

To find the HTL and VTL of an implicit function, you need to take the derivative of the function with respect to one of the variables. Then, set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for the corresponding variable. This will give you the x or y value of the point where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical. You can then plug this value into the original equation to find the corresponding y or x value.

5. Can implicit functions have multiple solutions for HTL and VTL?

Yes, implicit functions can have multiple solutions for HTL and VTL. This is because there can be multiple points on the graph where the tangent line is horizontal or vertical. When finding the solutions, it is important to consider the domain of the function and whether there are any restrictions on the values of the variables.