Improving PF's Help Content: Suggestions and Updates

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to review and improve the content of the HELP for PF, including potential errors and topics for improvement. The conversation also mentions a suggestion for a new topic to be included in the help page. An error on the help page is pointed out and a member offers to help fix it. There is also a mention of updating the medals page.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
We would like to review and/or improve the content of the HELP for PF.
If you've never seen it, it is accessible by clicking on the HELP circled in red on the screen shot below.
  • Are there errors in the help?
  • Are there topics you would like to see improved or expanded?
  • Do you care if there is any help at all? If RTFM is not for you, please say so.
slask.png
slask.png

Attachments

• slask.png
    slask.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 432
Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Help: It should be included if it is a:
  1. Constraint
    • software limitation
      • file size limits
      • file types allowed/disallowed
    • regulatory (the House Rules, etc)
  2. Feature
    • Character sets
    • Typographic support for Computer Languages
    • Typographic support for Equations
    • Typographic support for <anything else?>
  3. Suggested user tip

In an ideal implementation, help should be as inclusive as an indented index is. It should be the one GoTo spot to find at least links for everything from "What does a Check Mark mean in a thread title listing", "What image formats and size are supported", to "What is the difference between a Mentor, Homework Helper, Science Advisor, Gold Member..."

(list subject to growth)

One very obvious error on the help page is that the links to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy are duplicated on the list.

Likes anorlunda
Ygggdrasil said:
One very obvious error on the help page is that the links to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy are duplicated on the list.
This is due to a weird quirk of some settings.

How or where is the page shown in the image in post #1? Clicking on "HELP" on the bottom brings up a HELP page but I find no way to get the page you show in post #1.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This is due to a weird quirk of some settings.
Can this be fixed?

Ygggdrasil said:
Can this be fixed?
Perhaps, but it's not a high priority for me at the moment. :wink:

Likes Ygggdrasil
symbolipoint said:
How or where is the page shown in the image in post #1? Clicking on "HELP" on the bottom brings up a HELP page but I find no way to get the page you show in post #1.

You misunderstand. In post #1, I showed where to find the HELP button on any PF page.

One topic can be included: "Where to post". This will redirect to a page that lists all the forums in the site, and also mentions, in one or two sentences, what each forum deals with.

This will be particularly useful when a new member posts a thread for the first time, and visits the help page before posting.

Likes anorlunda
There are two errors in the "How to Ask for Homework Help" page:

Screenshot_20181109-003959.jpg

First, if I'm not wrong, PF doesn't work on VBulletin. So, that needs to be edited in the second paragraph. Secondly, the URL is not visible as a hyperlink.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181109-003959.jpg
    Screenshot_20181109-003959.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 328
Likes anorlunda
I don't mind doing a bit of writing. The "how to post" one looks a little shorter than it used to be - happy to expand that a bit if that would help.

Wrichik Basu said:
There are two errors in the "How to Ask for Homework Help" page:
I fixed them.
I also updated the medals page.

Likes dlgoff and Wrichik Basu

1. What is the purpose of improving PF's help content?

The purpose of improving PF's help content is to provide users with clear and comprehensive information that will help them use the product effectively and efficiently. By improving the help content, we strive to make the user experience more positive and reduce the need for additional support.

2. How will the improvement of PF's help content benefit users?

The improvement of PF's help content will benefit users by providing them with accurate and up-to-date information about the product. This will help them troubleshoot issues, understand features and functionalities, and answer any questions they may have about using the product.

3. What steps are involved in improving PF's help content?

The process of improving PF's help content involves conducting research to identify the most common user questions and pain points, reviewing and updating existing content, creating new content as needed, and testing the content with users to ensure its effectiveness.

4. How will the improvement of PF's help content be measured?

The improvement of PF's help content will be measured by analyzing user feedback, tracking the number of support tickets and inquiries related to the help content, and conducting surveys to gather user satisfaction ratings.

5. How often will PF's help content be updated?

The frequency of updating PF's help content will depend on the needs and feedback of the users. However, we aim to review and update the content on a regular basis, such as quarterly or biannually, to ensure it remains relevant and useful to users.