How is kinetic energy related to momentum in a spring-mass system?

• Thread starter Shambles
  • Start date
In summary, the final kinetic energy of the other block would be 3 times the final kinetic energy of the block with mass 3m. This is because momentum is equally distributed between the two blocks, and the smaller mass must have 3 times the velocity of the larger mass to maintain equal momentum. Therefore, the kinetic energy of the smaller mass would be 3 times the kinetic energy of the larger mass, which is represented by the variable E.
Shambles
Question

There are two blocks one of mass m and the other of mass 3m. The blocks are both start at rest on a frictionless surface and are connected by a spring which is initially compressed. The blocks are then released. If the final kinetic energy of the block of mass 3m is E what is the final kinetic energy of the other block?

My Understanding

The one object that unites the two masses is the force of the spring. In this situation it would release it's energy equally in both directions at the same time. Given that I assumed that as the force is the same the 3m mass would travel at 1/3 the velocity but both objects would have the same overall kinetic energy that is 'E'.

Now that answer turned out to be incorrect and it also confused me how a kinetic energy question appeared on an Impulse/Momentum quiz so I must be missing how kinetic energy and momentum directly relate to each other. I know that

Momentum = mass x velocity
Kinetic energy = (1/2)mv^2
The force of the spring would cause the two masses to accelerate for a limited time, after which they would maintain a constant velocity with no acceleration.
The spring would impart it's accelerating force on the two masses for an identical amount of time.

The other possible answers were one such as E/3, E/9, 3E, 9 E, sqrt(E) etc.. so I assume it's related to the mv^2 equation but I don't see how.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the two boxes spring situation, it's not kinetic energy that is equally spread, but momentum. So the smaller mass must have 3x the velocity of the big one to equal out. Then, if K.E. = .5mv2 and momentum =mv then K.E. = .5v*momentum and solving for momentum gives momentum = (K.E.)/(.5v). If E is the kinetic energy of the big mass, and the big mass has velocity v, then the small mass has velocity 3v and the momenta are equal and can be set equal to each other.

Momentum = Momentum
(K.E.)/(.5v) = (K.E.)/(.5*3v)
(E)/(.5v) = (?)/(.5*3v) [multiply both sides by .5v]
E = (?)/3
? = 3*E

Thank you for clearing that up.

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse is the force applied to an object over a period of time, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

2. How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse and momentum are related by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse applied to it.

3. How is impulse calculated?

Impulse is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time period over which the force is applied. The equation for impulse is J = F * Δt.

4. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system when the total momentum of all objects before an interaction is equal to the total momentum of all objects after the interaction. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

5. What are some real-life examples of impulse and momentum?

Some real-life examples of impulse and momentum include a car crash, where the force of the impact over a short period of time causes a change in the car's momentum, and a rocket launch, where the force of the fuel burning over a long period of time increases the rocket's momentum.