Solve Impulse Question on Bullet Acceleration & Force

• Thread starter acsin92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, we are asked to compute the acceleration, accelerating force, time of acceleration, and impulse of a bullet with a mass of 0.005 kg and a speed of 400 m/s as it penetrates 0.08m into a wooden block attached to the Earth. Using the equations a=-Vi^2 / 2s, F=m(Vf-Vi), t=m(Vf-Vi)/F, and I=Ft, we get the following results: a.) acceleration of the bullet = 1,000,000 m/s^2, b.) accelerating force = 5000N, c.) time of acceleration = 0.0004 s, and d.) impulse of the bullet = 2
acsin92

Homework Statement

A bullet with a mass of 0.005 kg and moving with a speed of 400 m/s penetrates a distance of 0.08m into a wooden block firmly attached to the Earth. Assume that the force stops it is constant. Compute for:

a.) acceleration of the bullet
b.) accelerating force
c.) time of acceleration
d.) impulse of the bullet

Homework Equations

I think I'll use

a=-Vi^2 / 2s.

for the acceleration of the bullet.

then for the acceleration of the bullet,

F=m(Vf-Vi)

then for the time of acceleration,

t = m(Vf-Vi) / F

am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
acsin92 said:

Homework Statement

A bullet with a mass of 0.005 kg and moving with a speed of 400 m/s penetrates a distance of 0.08m into a wooden block firmly attached to the Earth. Assume that the force stops it is constant. Compute for:

a.) acceleration of the bullet
b.) accelerating force
c.) time of acceleration
d.) impulse of the bullet

Homework Equations

I think I'll use

a=-Vi^2 / 2s.
for the acceleration of the bullet.
yes
then for the accelerating force of the bullet,

F=m(Vf-Vi)
No, what is Newton's second law?
then for the time of acceleration,

t = m(Vf-Vi) / F
yes, (or use t = (Vf -Vi)/a , as a check)
am i right?
and part d?

a.) acceleration of the bullet = 1,000,000 m/s^2
b.) accelerating force = 5000N
c.) time of acceleration = 0.0004 s
d.) impulse of the bullet = 2 Ns

are these correct? I used the equations above. I'm in doubt whether this is correct because of those large numbers and for that small amount of time.

I used the equation of I=Ft for impulse.

Last edited:

What is impulse and how does it relate to bullet acceleration and force?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and it describes the change in momentum of an object. In the case of a bullet, the force from the gunpowder explosion creates an impulse on the bullet, causing it to accelerate. The larger the impulse, the greater the acceleration and force on the bullet.

What factors affect the impulse on a bullet?

The impulse on a bullet can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the bullet, the amount of gunpowder used, and the length of the barrel. A heavier bullet or a higher velocity will result in a larger impulse and therefore a greater acceleration and force.

How does the length of the barrel affect the impulse and force on a bullet?

The length of the barrel can affect the impulse on a bullet in two ways. First, a longer barrel allows for a longer period of time for the bullet to accelerate, resulting in a larger impulse. Second, a longer barrel can also increase the velocity of the bullet, which will also increase the impulse and force.

What is the relationship between impulse, acceleration, and force?

Impulse is directly proportional to both acceleration and force. This means that a larger impulse will result in a greater acceleration and force on an object. Additionally, the direction of the impulse is the same as the direction of the resulting force on the object.

How can impulse be calculated for a bullet?

The impulse on a bullet can be calculated using the equation impulse = force x time. The force can be calculated using the equation force = mass x acceleration. Therefore, the impulse can also be calculated using the equation impulse = mass x acceleration x time. This can be done by measuring the mass and velocity of the bullet, and the time it takes for the bullet to travel a certain distance.