In 4-momentum, why is E the 4th component?

In summary, the conversation is about the inconsistency in the conversion factor between space and time. The mathematician is trying to figure out how to show mathematically that energy is the fourth component of momentum.
jaguar7
Assuming that c is a "conversion factor" to convert between space and time,

Then, in 4-vector, we have x_1 through x_3, and t, where, x/c = t

x/c = t, (where t = time, c= lightspeed, x = spatial dimension)

If we do what we did to space to get time, to momentum,

p/c = m*v/c = m (x/t) / c = m(x/c)/t = mt/t = m

we actually end up with mass... not energy...

So, there is an inconsistency, and I must have made a mistake somewhere. Can you please describe the method and mathematical proof and context for calling energy the component of momentum that is in the time dimension?

Thank you very much. -- j

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jaguar7! :smile:

you're assuming that a change of velocity should affect different dimensions equally

but a change of velocity is a rotation between two dimensions (t and x, say), and its matrix is
Code:
cosh  sinh
sinh  cosh

just as a rotation between two space dimensions is
Code:
cos   sin
-sin  cos

… a rotation does not affect dimensions equally! :wink:

Hi, tiny-tim. Thank you for your response.

I'm afraid I'm not very good with matrices. I suppose I'll have to review that. I've been looking for my old books. They've been mysteriously difficult to find after I moved...

I understand that a change in velocity is a rotation between dimensions.

Does that mean I can't use the term velocity in the mathematics? Or that I must use a "4-velocity"? I'm not sure how I would go about doing that... though I would very much like to learn how, somehow... :p

Thank you, again, tim. -- j

Last edited:
hi jaguar7! :smile:
jaguar7 said:
Does that mean I can't use the term velocity in the mathematics? Or that I must use a "4-velocity"? I'm not sure how I would go about doing that... though I would very much like to learn how, somehow... :p

i don't think I've ever seen the term "4-velocity"

(4-momentum and 4-force, yes)

Thanks. =)

Still, though, how would one go about showing mathematically that energy is the 4th component of momentum, I wonder...?

jaguar7 said:
Thanks. =)

Still, though, how would one go about showing mathematically that energy is the 4th component of momentum, I wonder...?

You'd just want to show that (E,P) transformed as a 4-vector using the lorentz transform for an isolated point particle.

To do this, you might first prove that the four-velocity is a 4-vector, then consider the prodect mass * 4-velocity, where mass is the invariant mass.

jaguar7 said:
Or that I must use a "4-velocity"? I'm not sure how I would go about doing that... though I would very much like to learn how, somehow... :p

tiny-tim said:
i don't think I've ever seen the term "4-velocity"

(4-momentum and 4-force, yes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-velocity

I think it is a fourth component because of the simple relation
E2-P2=m02,c=1 I have put.

Related to In 4-momentum, why is E the 4th component?

1. Why is energy represented as the 4th component in 4-momentum?

In physics, momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. When considering special relativity, it was discovered that energy and momentum are two different aspects of the same physical quantity. Therefore, in order to fully describe the momentum of an object in special relativity, energy must be included as the 4th component.

2. Is energy the only component in 4-momentum that changes with velocity?

No, all four components of 4-momentum (energy, momentum in the x, y, and z directions) change with velocity. This is because special relativity states that mass and energy are interchangeable, and an object's velocity affects its mass.

3. Does the 4th component of 4-momentum have a special significance?

Yes, the 4th component, energy, has a special significance because it is conserved in all interactions in special relativity. This means that the total energy of a system before an interaction is equal to the total energy after the interaction.

4. How is the 4th component of 4-momentum related to the mass of an object?

The 4th component of 4-momentum, energy, is directly related to an object's mass through the famous equation E=mc². This equation shows that an object's mass is a measure of its energy content, and the two are interchangeable.

5. Can the 4th component of 4-momentum be negative?

Yes, the 4th component of 4-momentum, energy, can be negative. This is because energy is a relative quantity and can be negative if the object's total energy is less than its rest energy (energy at rest). This is often seen in situations involving antimatter, where the energy can be negative due to the negative charge of the particles.