In India many people die from drinking homemade wine

In summary, many people in India die from drinking homemade wine each year due to the practice of adding toxic substances such as methanol or pesticides to increase the potency of the brew. This is often done by criminal groups and can also be caused by contamination of the brewing equipment with substances like lead solder. These practices are driven by greed and the desire to make a stronger product, leading to dangerous and sometimes fatal consequences for those who consume it.
jackson6612
I'm not a science student. So, please keep your reply simple and straightforward. Thank you.

In India many people die from drinking homemade wine yearly. What can be the reason(s) for this apart from outside factors such as delibrately introduing a posionous herb etc? I don't know if it's okay to call it wine because to qualify as wine it would have to contain more content of ethanol than beer. What would you call it, how much ethanol is in homemade alcohol? Methanol can be blamed for this poisonous effec because it is toxic. Here people mostly drink it after fermentation, I mean they don't continue with distillation. Can you please help me with it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
jackson6612 said:
I'm not a science student. So, please keep your reply simple and straightforward. Thank you.

In India many people die from drinking homemade wine yearly. What can be the reason(s) for this apart from outside factors such as delibrately introduing a posionous herb etc? I don't know if it's okay to call it wine because to qualify as wine it would have to contain more content of ethanol than beer. What would you call it, how much ethanol is in homemade alcohol? Methanol can be blamed for this poisonous effec because it is toxic. Here people mostly drink it after fermentation, I mean they don't continue with distillation. Can you please help me with it?
I have no idea what they use and which could be the exact process; if you talk of methanol it seems likable that they mixes distilled wood in the product: if you distill wood or little branches (heat it at high enough T and condense the vapours) you also have methanol, acetone and other disgusting (and poisonous) things.

Last edited:
jackson6612 said:

Please link to what you are talking about. We cannot guess what they are doing or which ingrediants they are using.

jackson6612 said:

As far as I know, most publicized cases of mass deaths involve people drinking illegally manufactured distilled spirits. Deaths occur because manufacturers add methanol or pesticides to their brews to increase their apparent potency. I'm not sure if we can truly call that "homemade wine".

Apparently they drank "contaminated" wine. That most likely means scenario described by hamster - someone deliberately adding something to the brew.

Hi Hamster

because manufacturers add methanol or pesticides to their brews to increase their apparent potency.

This is the first time I have someone saying this. Why would someone add them knowing that they are toxic and also knowing that they can also get themselves into legal or some other kind of trouble? Are methanol or pesticides really more potent? Obviously, when someone is near dying he would be more intoxicated and hallucinated. Would you please elaborate on what you exactly meant?

jackson6612 said:
Why would someone add them knowing that they are toxic and also knowing that they can also get themselves into legal or some other kind of trouble?

Because people are stupid and greed at the same time.

Are methanol or pesticides really more potent?

Not necessarily, but they may make the brew smell as if it was stronger or they can make you feel intoxicated much faster.

Ethylene glycol contamination is also another possibility. It has a sweet flavor, but is toxic to people and animals. It seems it was a criminal group that was responsible for the liquour or wine, and obviously they did not observe safety standards.

hamster143 said:
As far as I know, most publicized cases of mass deaths involve people drinking illegally manufactured distilled spirits. Deaths occur because manufacturers add methanol or pesticides to their brews to increase their apparent potency. I'm not sure if we can truly call that "homemade wine".

Also the still may contain lead solder.

jackson6612 said:
This is the first time I have someone saying this. Why would someone add them knowing that they are toxic and also knowing that they can also get themselves into legal or some other kind of trouble? Are methanol or pesticides really more potent? Obviously, when someone is near dying he would be more intoxicated and hallucinated. Would you please elaborate on what you exactly meant?

The practice of adding "stuff" to homemade distilled spirits (as long as those are intended for sale and not for one's own consumption) is probably as culturally universal as the practice of making those distilled spirits ... Spiked liquor makes you intoxicated faster. People know that you make strong moonshine, that raises sales. Brewers may add all sorts of stuff to moonshine, from laundry detergent to chicken, hm, guano.

One other possibility, if this is done by gangs on a semi-industrial scale, is that they source industrial ethanol with various impurities (which is cheaper than fermenting and distilling your own) and add it to the mix.

1. What is homemade wine?

Homemade wine is wine that is produced in small quantities by individuals for personal consumption, rather than by professional winemakers. It is often made with fruits, vegetables, or herbs that are easily accessible and affordable.

2. Why do people in India die from drinking homemade wine?

The homemade wine production process in India is often unregulated and lacks proper sanitation and quality control measures. This can lead to the growth of harmful bacteria and other pathogens in the wine, causing illness and even death.

3. Is homemade wine legal in India?

Yes, homemade wine is legal in India for personal consumption. However, the production and sale of homemade wine is regulated by state governments, and it is important to follow proper guidelines and obtain necessary permits to ensure the safety and quality of the wine.

4. What are the potential health risks of drinking homemade wine?

Drinking homemade wine that has been contaminated with harmful bacteria or other toxins can lead to serious health issues, including food poisoning, liver damage, and even death. It is important to only consume homemade wine that has been properly produced and stored.

5. How can the safety and quality of homemade wine in India be improved?

To improve the safety and quality of homemade wine in India, it is important for individuals to follow proper guidelines and obtain necessary permits for production and sale. Additionally, implementing regulations and inspections by government agencies can help ensure that homemade wine is produced and sold in a safe and healthy manner.