I'm not a science student. So, please keep your reply simple and straightforward. Thank you. In India many people die from drinking homemade wine yearly. What can be the reason(s) for this apart from outside factors such as delibrately introduing a posionous herb etc? I don't know if it's okay to call it wine because to qualify as wine it would have to contain more content of ethanol than beer. What would you call it, how much ethanol is in homemade alcohol? Methanol can be blamed for this poisonous effec because it is toxic. Here people mostly drink it after fermentation, I mean they don't continue with distillation. Can you please help me with it?