1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inclined planes, mass' effect on final velocity

1. Mar 8, 2007 #1
    Okay, so I've been working on an extended practical investigation. And Im a little stuck. Heres a brief overview:
    Using a ramp(always at the same angle to the horizontal), and a truck and a stopwatch, I've timed the amount of time it takes for the truck to reach the bottom of the ramp, with different masses. Whilst I predicted that the mass would have no effect on the final velocity because it would not effect the acceleration, my results show that the larger the mass, the final velocity would increase very minorly. Why is this? Im guessing it has to do with friction, or perhaps my hypothesis was incorrect?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Theoretically, with rolling friction/axle friction coefficients assumed equal for all trucks, their speed would be the same at the bottom, in a vacuum . Your experiment is taking place in air. Thoughts?

4. Mar 8, 2007 #3
    air resistance, of course!:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?