1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Increasing or decreasing - logarithms

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

Hey there!
    How do I determine whether this function is growing or decreasing without using any calculator or graphing tools?
    [tex]y=ln(\frac{1}{x})[/tex]
    I know that
    [tex]y=ln(\frac{1}{x}) \ \Leftrightarrow \ e^y=\frac{1}{x} \ \ \ (1) [/tex]
    Then I tried to use the formula
    [tex]f(x)=a^x[/tex] and then determine whether a is 0<a<1 or a>1. But I dont know how I should do to write (1) in the same same manner :( .

If a is 0<a<1 means that the function is strictly decreasing.
    If a is a>1 means that the function is strictly increasing.

Could somone please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your function doesn't have that form. Is this a calculus class? Can't you just take the derivative?

4. Apr 25, 2014 #3

Rectifier

Gold Member

I dont know if its calculus or not. Its called one-dimensional analysis and its a class I take where I live - in Sweden.

There should be another way to do that than the derivative since I must be able to plot the function after that without a calculator or a graphing tool.

I am sorry if this is the wrong subforum.

5. Apr 25, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the forum is ok. If you have 1/x=e^y then you have x=e^(-y)=(1/e)^y. That will let you plot x=f(y) as a decreasing function of y since (1/e)<1. What does your graph translate to when you think of y as a function of x?

6. Apr 25, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, "analysis" is "Calculus". (In the United States we tend to use the word "Analysis" to mean "the theory behind Calculus" so a higher level course than "Calculus".)

Why would not using a calculator or graphing tool mean you cannot take the derivative?

The derivative of ln(1/x)= - ln(x) is -1/x. You can tell where that is positive or negative without a calculator, can't you?

7. Apr 25, 2014 #6

Rectifier

Gold Member

Thank you for your comment!

You went through f(y) to determine whether the function is decreasing or increasing in terms of x being a funtion of y to then mirror the function on the x=y line and get the inverse which is the original function. But the nice thing here is that since the inverse is increasing this must mean that the original is increasing too.

Did I get it right?

8. Apr 25, 2014 #7

Rectifier

Gold Member

Yeah I can :) but oficially I am not allowed to use derivatives since I am not at that chapter of the book :D.

I like to have more than one way to the solution. Thank you for your comment HallsofIvy :)

9. Apr 26, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] y = \ln \left( \frac{1}{x}\right) = - \ln(x)[/tex]
    Do you know what the graph of ##\ln(x)## looks like?

BTW: in LaTeX you should write "\ln" instead of "ln", because it produces better-looking results: compare ##ln(x)##, entered as # # ln(x) # # (no spaces) with ##\ln(x)##, entered as # #\ln(x) # # (no spaces).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  10. Apr 26, 2014 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right idea, but x=(1/e)^y isn't increasing. I hope that was a typo.

11. Apr 26, 2014 #10

Rectifier

Gold Member

Hehe indeed I was going to write decreasing. Thank you for your help :)

12. Apr 26, 2014 #11

Rectifier

Gold Member

Oh, I didnt see that option! Thank you for pointing this out!

Thank you yet again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted