Increasing or decreasing - logarithms

In summary, the function is increasing if a is less than one, and decreasing if a is greater than one.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey there!
How do I determine whether this function is growing or decreasing without using any calculator or graphing tools?
[tex]y=ln(\frac{1}{x})[/tex]
I know that
[tex]y=ln(\frac{1}{x}) \ \Leftrightarrow \ e^y=\frac{1}{x} \ \ \ (1) [/tex]
Then I tried to use the formula
[tex]f(x)=a^x[/tex] and then determine whether a is 0<a<1 or a>1. But I don't know how I should do to write (1) in the same same manner :( .

If a is 0<a<1 means that the function is strictly decreasing.
If a is a>1 means that the function is strictly increasing.

Could somone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rectifier said:
Hey there!
How do I determine whether this function is growing or decreasing without using any calculator or graphing tools?
I know that
[tex]f(x)=a^x[/tex] and then determine whether a is 0<a<1 or a>1. But I don't know how I should do to write (1) in the same same manner :( .

Your function doesn't have that form. Is this a calculus class? Can't you just take the derivative?

Dick said:
Your function doesn't have that form. Is this a calculus class? Can't you just take the derivative?

I don't know if its calculus or not. Its called one-dimensional analysis and its a class I take where I live - in Sweden.

There should be another way to do that than the derivative since I must be able to plot the function after that without a calculator or a graphing tool.

I am sorry if this is the wrong subforum.

Rectifier said:
I don't know if its calculus or not. Its called one-dimensional analysis and its a class I take where I live - in Sweden.

There should be another way to do that than the derivative since I must be able to plot the function after that without a calculator or a graphing tool.

I think the forum is ok. If you have 1/x=e^y then you have x=e^(-y)=(1/e)^y. That will let you plot x=f(y) as a decreasing function of y since (1/e)<1. What does your graph translate to when you think of y as a function of x?

Likes 1 person
Rectifier said:

Yes, "analysis" is "Calculus". (In the United States we tend to use the word "Analysis" to mean "the theory behind Calculus" so a higher level course than "Calculus".)

Why would not using a calculator or graphing tool mean you cannot take the derivative?

The derivative of ln(1/x)= - ln(x) is -1/x. You can tell where that is positive or negative without a calculator, can't you?

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your comment!

You went through f(y) to determine whether the function is decreasing or increasing in terms of x being a funtion of y to then mirror the function on the x=y line and get the inverse which is the original function. But the nice thing here is that since the inverse is increasing this must mean that the original is increasing too.

Did I get it right?

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, "analysis" is "Calculus". (In the United States we tend to use the word "Analysis" to mean "the theory behind Calculus" so a higher level course than "Calculus".)

Why would not using a calculator or graphing tool mean you cannot take the derivative?

The derivative of ln(1/x)= - ln(x) is -1/x. You can tell where that is positive or negative without a calculator, can't you?

Yeah I can :) but oficially I am not allowed to use derivatives since I am not at that chapter of the book :D.

I like to have more than one way to the solution. Thank you for your comment HallsofIvy :)

Rectifier said:
Hey there!
I know that

[tex] y = \ln \left( \frac{1}{x}\right) = - \ln(x)[/tex]
Do you know what the graph of ##\ln(x)## looks like?

BTW: in LaTeX you should write "\ln" instead of "ln", because it produces better-looking results: compare ##ln(x)##, entered as # # ln(x) # # (no spaces) with ##\ln(x)##, entered as # #\ln(x) # # (no spaces).

Last edited:
Rectifier said:
Thank you for your comment!

You went through f(y) to determine whether the function is decreasing or increasing in terms of x being a funtion of y to then mirror the function on the x=y line and get the inverse which is the original function. But the nice thing here is that since the inverse is increasing this must mean that the original is increasing too.

Did I get it right?

Right idea, but x=(1/e)^y isn't increasing. I hope that was a typo.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Right idea, but x=(1/e)^y isn't increasing. I hope that was a typo.

Hehe indeed I was going to write decreasing. Thank you for your help :)

Ray Vickson said:
[tex] y = \ln \left( \frac{1}{x}\right) = - \ln(x)[/tex]
Do you know what the graph of ##\ln(x)## looks like?
Oh, I didnt see that option! Thank you for pointing this out!

Ray Vickson said:
BTW: in LaTeX you should write "\ln" instead of "ln", because it produces better-looking results: compare ##ln(x)##, entered as # # ln(x) # # (no spaces) with ##\ln(x)##, entered as # #\ln(x) # # (no spaces).
Thank you yet again :)

Related to Increasing or decreasing - logarithms

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the exponent needed to raise a base number to a certain power. In other words, it is the inverse operation of an exponential function.

2. How can logarithms be used to increase or decrease numbers?

Logarithms can be used to increase or decrease numbers by converting them into a different scale. For example, taking the logarithm of a large number can make it easier to work with by reducing its magnitude, while taking the logarithm of a small number can make it larger and easier to compare to other numbers.

3. What is the difference between increasing and decreasing logarithms?

Increasing logarithms refer to logarithms where the base number is greater than one, while decreasing logarithms refer to logarithms where the base number is less than one. This difference is important because it affects the direction and shape of the logarithmic curve.

4. How do you calculate the value of a logarithm?

The value of a logarithm can be calculated by using a scientific calculator or by hand using logarithm properties and rules. For example, the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors, and the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the numerator and denominator.

5. What are some real-world applications of increasing or decreasing logarithms?

Increasing and decreasing logarithms have many practical applications, including in finance, biology, and computer science. For example, in finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and in biology, they are used to measure the intensity of earthquakes. In computer science, logarithms are used in algorithms and data structures for efficient data processing.