Indefinite integral using trig substitutions

In summary, we started by making a trigonometric substitution $y = \sqrt{2/3}\tan(\theta)$ to simplify the integrand. After some algebraic manipulation and using a trig identity, we were able to reduce the integral to $\int \sec(\theta)\, d\theta$. Then, we made another substitution $y = \sqrt{2/3}\sinh{(t)}$ to simplify it even further. Finally, we reverted back to the original variable $y$ and got the final answer as $\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \ln\left( \sqrt{2+3y^2}+\sqrt{3}y \right) + C$. Great job summarizing
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{2+3y^2}}dy$
$u=\sqrt{3/2}\tan\left({\theta}\right)$

I continued but it went south..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi karush,

First write $\sqrt{2 + 3y^2}$ as $\sqrt{3}\sqrt{\frac{2}{3} + y^2}$ in the integrand, and let $y = \sqrt{2/3}\tan \theta$. See what you get from this substitution.

$\sqrt{3}\sqrt{2/3+2/3 \tan^2\left({\theta}\right)}$

Re: int using trig subs

Now use the identity $1+tan^2(\theta) = \sec^2(\theta)$ to simplify. What is $dy$ in terms of $d\theta$?

$du=\frac{\sqrt{6}}{2}\sec^2\left({\theta}\right)d\theta$

Re: int using trig subs

You're close but it's $dy = \frac{\sqrt{6}}{3}\sec^2(\theta)\, d\theta$. Now express your integral in terms of the $\theta$ variable.

Even though the trig sub will work, the integral will still be quite difficult. $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\sinh{(t)} \end{align*}$ is a much easier sub...

Prove It said:
Even though the trig sub will work, the integral will still be quite difficult. $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\sinh{(t)} \end{align*}$ is a much easier sub...

Perhaps, but I guess it depends on whether karush knows hyperbolic functions yet. I suspect that at this stage, he already knows $\int \sec x \, dx = \ln|\sec x + \tan x| + C$, so he doesn't have to work through any difficult steps.

My confusion seems to be getting $dy=dx$
Initially I factored out 2 to get $(1+\frac{3}{2}y^2)$

Wait, you're going backwards. Let's continue. We have $y = \sqrt{2/3}\tan(\theta)$, so $\sqrt{2+3y^2} = \sqrt{2}\sec(\theta)$ and $dy = \sqrt{2/3}\sec^2(\theta) \, d\theta$. Thus

$$\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{2+3y^2}}\, dy = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}\sec(\theta)}\, (\sqrt{2/3} \sec^2(\theta)\, d\theta) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \int \sec(\theta)\, d\theta = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \ln|\sec(\theta) + \tan(\theta)| + C.$$

Now revert back to the $y$-variable.

$\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\ln\left({\sqrt{2+3y^2}+\sqrt{3}y}\right)+C$

karush said:
$\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{2+3y^2}}dy$
$u=\sqrt{3/2}\tan\left({\theta}\right)$

I continued but it went south..

Using the substitution I suggested:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 + 3y^2}}\,\mathrm{d}y} &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\int{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{ \frac{2}{3} + y^2}}\,\mathrm{d}y} \end{align*}$

Now substitute $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3} } \sinh{(t)} \implies \mathrm{d}y = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}} \cosh{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t \end{align*}$ and the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\int{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{3} + y^2}}\,\mathrm{d}y} &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\int{ \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{3} + \left[ \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\sinh{(t)} \right] ^2}} \, \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}}\cosh{(t)}\,\mathrm{d}t } \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{3} \int{ \frac{\cosh{(t)}}{\sqrt{ \frac{2}{3} \left[ 1 + \sinh^2{(t)} \right] }} \,\mathrm{d}t } \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{3} \int{ \frac{\sqrt{3}\cosh{(t)}}{\sqrt{2} \cosh{(t)} } \,\mathrm{d}t} \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \int{ 1\,\mathrm{d}t } \\ &= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} t + C \end{align*}$

Now remembering that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3} }\sinh{(t)} \end{align*}$ that means

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} y &= \frac{\sqrt{2}\sinh{(t)}}{\sqrt{3}} \\ \sqrt{3}\,y &= \sqrt{2}\sinh{(t)} \\ \frac{\sqrt{3}\,y}{\sqrt{2}} &= \sinh{(t)} \\ \frac{\sqrt{6}\,y}{2} &= \sinh{(t)} \\ t &= \textrm{arsinh}\,\left( \frac{\sqrt{6}\,y}{2} \right) \end{align*}$

and thus the answer is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \,\textrm{arsinh}\,\left( \frac{\sqrt{6}\,y}{2} \right) + C \end{align*}$.

karush said:
$\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\ln\left({\sqrt{2+3y^2}+\sqrt{3}y}\right)+C$

Good work, karush! That's completely correct.

Related to Indefinite integral using trig substitutions

1. What is an indefinite integral using trig substitutions?

An indefinite integral using trig substitutions is a method used to solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the integral, which can simplify the integration process.

2. When should I use trig substitutions to solve an indefinite integral?

Trig substitutions are useful for solving integrals that involve expressions with square roots, or integrals that contain sums or differences of squares. It can also be used for integrals involving trigonometric functions raised to powers.

3. How do I choose which trig substitution to use?

There are three main trig substitutions: sine, cosine, and tangent. You should choose the substitution that will result in the simplest integral. This can be determined by looking at the expression inside the integral and comparing it to the trig identities.

4. Can I use trig substitutions to solve all indefinite integrals?

No, not all indefinite integrals can be solved using trig substitutions. It is most effective for integrals that involve trigonometric functions, but other methods may be needed for other types of integrals.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when using trig substitutions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to be aware of. For example, if the integral contains a term with a coefficient in front of the trigonometric function, this should be factored out before substituting. Also, be cautious of the signs of the trig functions, as they can affect the final result.