Is Indoor Soccer the Most Fun Sport?

• Thread starter z-component
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about different types of indoor sports, such as indoor soccer and dodgeball, and the enjoyment and challenges of playing them. The group also discussed the possibility of combining the two sports and the benefits of playing on different surfaces. Some members shared their experiences playing on various indoor fields and the rules and regulations that come with them. Overall, the conversation highlighted the fun and excitement that comes with playing indoor sports and the camaraderie that can be built through playing them.

Do you like indoor soccer?

• Yes!

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No... :(

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
z-component
I really like this sport! It's fun. Who agrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
Indoor soccer and indoor dodge ball are both fun.

Gosh, haven't played that since high school! (We had intramural teams in college, but I never had the night free that they played.) It's a fun game (so is outdoor soccer). That's not to say I'm any good at it, but I have fun trying.

And, yep, dodge ball is fun too. :biggrin: Ooh, how fun would it be to combine the two!

too fun but too fast.

neurocomp2003 said:
too fun but too fast.
Heh heh...that's why I'm no good at it, but definitely fun. It would be so cool sometime to get all the PF geeks together for a game...at least then we wouldn't have to worry about the jocks hogging the ball. :biggrin:

Oh wait... did you mean on a court in a gym? I thought you meant in the house.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Oh wait... did you mean on a court in a gym? I thought you meant in the house.
:rofl: I thought dogdeball and soccer were creative enough as a combination...didn't realize you were adding an obstacle course to it too. :biggrin: I never even thought of soccer inside a house!

You're probably just obeying your mother...

"Don't even think about kicking that ball around inside the house, young lady!"

Hurkyl said:
You're probably just obeying your mother...

"Don't even think about kicking that ball around inside the house, young lady!"
Yeah, there was that too. Actually, it was more like, "Take it outside, NOW!" :rolleyes:

Outdoor dodgeball? I think that would be a pain to play unless there were nets or something to stop the ball from going too far.

I have never played indoor soccer, in fact, I don't think I have ever played soccer, ever!

We played dodgeball both inside and outside (though more often inside...it was a good game to play for indoor recess on rainy days). If you have a big enough group of kids, the ball rarely escapes the circle, but if it did, yeah, it was a bit more exercise chasing after it.

well perhaps I can stand it if you don't call it soccer!

I used to play a little 6-a-side footy but stopped when i moved 2 years ago. I don`t miss it too much, rolling subs used to kill me. :eek:utabreathsmilie:

Indoor soccer was fun, until I discovered hockey. Now that's fun!

It's OK, but the field is kind of small - I always like to be able to run 100 m :tongue2: - and 60 m seems kind of smallish. And I like the grass and outdoors. Of course, in the winter time with snow and subfreezing weather, indoors works. :biggrin:

Oh yeah - the rules - http://www.misl.net/upload_images/mislrules05.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Indoor is fun but it's mostly a substitute for when outdoor isn't an option, usually the period when the ground is frozen. Though the group I play with typically manages at least 1 or 2 snow and ice games each year.

The gym I play in has some nice corners and random obstacles that can make some interesting angles when you get to know your way around. I have a size 4 ball for kicking around my apartment in the winter as well. I've dribbled it past my girlfriend many times as she just rolled her eyes at me wishing it was summer and I would get out. Fortunately, outdoor has just begun for the season :smile:

shmoe said:
I have a size 4 ball for kicking around my apartment in the winter as well. I've dribbled it past my girlfriend many times as she just rolled her eyes at me wishing it was summer and I would get out. Fortunately, outdoor has just begun for the season :smile:
:rofl:

I am not allowed to play inside the house. :rofl:

Astronuc said:
:rofl:

I am not allowed to play inside the house. :rofl:

You're surely alone sometimes, what they don't know...o:)

:rofl: Well, I need wide open spaces - at least 70 m x 100 m. :biggrin:

Actually several sq km's is preferable.

Maybe Montana!

The skills you learn playing against your furniture directly translate to skills on the big pitch :wink:

Nice open fields, yea I like that too. An advantage of unorganized pickup soccer- the sidelines can be declared to be the nearest busy roads, no matter how far they are :biggrin:

shmoe said:
The skills you learn playing against your furniture directly translate to skills on the big pitch :wink:
Yeah, learning to avoid furniture can help one develop nimbleness. :rofl:

Grass is much easier on the skin than wood or carpet. :biggrin:

shmoe said:
Indoor is fun but it's mostly a substitute for when outdoor isn't an option, usually the period when the ground is frozen. Though the group I play with typically manages at least 1 or 2 snow and ice games each year.

The gym I play in has some nice corners and random obstacles that can make some interesting angles when you get to know your way around. I have a size 4 ball for kicking around my apartment in the winter as well. I've dribbled it past my girlfriend many times as she just rolled her eyes at me wishing it was summer and I would get out. Fortunately, outdoor has just begun for the season :smile:
Don't you guys have a real indoor field (basically, a hockey rink with astro turf). We have a couple.

The one north of town is regulation size, but has a gym-like floor.

The one in town has a good surface, but is a little small. The small field does make for high scoring games, though - I once racked up 4 goals and 3 assists (I was supposedly playing sweeper, but I couldn't resist creeping in across the red line since the other team just kept leaving the middle space above the penalty area wide open).

Best I ever played on was on Offutt Air Force Base near Omaha, NE. They have the best fitness center I've ever seen. It's an old World War II hangar left over from when there was a Martin bomber factory there - the hangar must be about a quarter mile long.

Last edited:
BobG said:
Don't you guys have a real indoor field (basically, a hockey rink with astro turf). We have a couple.

There are many options nearby, ranging from outdoor size fields (including sidelines but with fake turf) inside converted airport hangers, to hockey rink style, to leagues in high school gyms around the city, to the university gym I can get a group of other students together and book. This list is in roughly descending order of cost, starting at very expensive and ending at free (well, included in tuition). Not a tough decision to go with the small but free gym playing with friends :smile:

I've yet to find a league I enjoy playing in more than friendly pick up games. The level of skill that I'd prefer is usually filled with jerky people who are there to win at all costs, not my cup of tea.

BobG said:
Best I ever played on was on Offutt Air Force Base near Omaha, NE. They have the best fitness center I've ever seen. It's an old World War II hangar left over from when there was a Martin bomber factory there - the hangar must be about a quarter mile long.
Not too many towns with a former bomber factory. :biggrin:

Like shmoe, I don't care for leagues, especially with "with jerky people who are there to win at all costs" - not my cup of tea either, or pint of Guinness, as the case may be. :biggrin:

Massive soccer fan, I watch hours of soccer a day. Play on several indoor and outdoor teams.

shmoe said:
You're surely alone sometimes, what they don't know...o:)
There's only so many times you can rearrange the furniture to hide the damage before "they" catch on though. :devil:

Moonbear said:
There's only so many times you can rearrange the furniture to hide the damage before "they" catch on though. :devil:
But the bruises and lacerations are usually a giveaway. :biggrin:

Anyway, down in Texas, we could play outdoors year round. If we didn't play soccer, we'd be playing American football, particularly in the winter - especially in the rain and mud - and usually tackle without pads and gear. The objective was more tackling the man with the ball, preferably into the biggest mud or water puddle, and that's usually what a football game devolved into - just an excuse to get wet and muddy. Then the coach would come out a yell at us.

indoor is way better than outdoor...so much faster...and you need quicker reflexes

1. What makes indoor soccer different from outdoor soccer?

Indoor soccer is played on a smaller field with fewer players and a different type of ball. It also has different rules and allows for wall passes and rebounds.

2. Is indoor soccer a good workout?

Yes, indoor soccer can be a great cardiovascular workout as it involves constant running, sprinting, and changes of direction.

3. How is the pace of indoor soccer compared to outdoor soccer?

The pace of indoor soccer is generally faster due to the smaller field and fewer players, leading to more frequent and intense plays.

4. Is indoor soccer more suitable for certain age groups or skill levels?

Indoor soccer can be enjoyed by people of all ages and skill levels. The smaller field and fewer players can make it more accessible for beginners, while the faster pace and increased technical skills required can appeal to more advanced players.

5. Are there any specific equipment or gear needed for indoor soccer?

Indoor soccer typically requires special shoes with flat soles for better traction on the indoor surface. Other than that, the only necessary equipment is a ball and appropriate clothing.