Induced charge distribution

In summary, you are trying to solve for the induced charge on a part of a sphere that is located a distance b from a grounded conducting sphere. You get the wrong sign on the a2 term, and the answer does not make sense. You might be able to check your work by trying different points in your working.
Mohammad Allahham
Dear colleagues
I have this problem which I don't understand from where they got the solution I tried to solve it with slot of methods with the same answer which not the stated answer.
A point charge (q) is located a distance (b) from a grounded conducting sphere with radius (a) show that the ratio between the induced charge of the part in the front of (q) to the rest part is
√(a+b)/√(b-a)
I tried a lot of but each time I got the following answer
√(b2 - a2 +2ab)/√(b2 - a2 - 2ab)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohammad Allahham said:
Dear colleagues
I have this problem which I don't understand from where they got the solution I tried to solve it with slot of methods with the same answer which not the stated answer.
A point charge (q) is located a distance (b) from a grounded conducting sphere with radius (a) show that the ratio between the induced charge of the part in the front of (q) to the rest part is
√(a+b)/√(b-a)
I tried a lot of but each time I got the following answer
√(b2 - a2 +2ab)/√(b2 - a2 - 2ab)
Welcome to the PF.

Please show us a diagram of the problem, and show us all of your work that got you to that answer. We can only help you if you show us all of your work.

And in future schoolwork threads that you start, please fill out the Homework Help Template that you are provided when posting. It helps to organize your post, so we don't have to ask so many questions before being able to help. Thank you.

Template said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Mohammad Allahham said:
each time I got the following answer
Looks like you are getting the wrong sign on the a2 term, but as noted above, we can't guess how without seeing your working.
Note that your answer makes no sense as b tends to a. You might be able to make that test at various points in your working to see where it goes wrong.

I assume is b the distance from the surface (outside).

1. What is induced charge distribution?

Induced charge distribution is the redistribution of electric charges on a conductive material due to the presence of an external electric field. This can occur when a charged object is brought near a neutral conductor, causing the charges within the conductor to rearrange and create an electric field that opposes the external field.

2. How does induced charge distribution affect conductors?

Induced charge distribution can affect the behavior of conductors by altering their charge distribution and creating an opposing electric field. This can cause the charges to accumulate on the surface of the conductor, resulting in a net charge on the surface.

3. What is the difference between induced charge distribution and static charge distribution?

Induced charge distribution refers to the redistribution of charges due to the presence of an external electric field, while static charge distribution refers to the distribution of charges on a stationary object. Induced charge distribution is a temporary effect, while static charge distribution is a permanent effect.

4. What factors can affect induced charge distribution?

The strength and direction of the external electric field, the size and shape of the conductor, and the material of the conductor can all affect the magnitude and distribution of induced charges. The distance between the conductor and the charged object can also play a role.

5. How is induced charge distribution used in practical applications?

Induced charge distribution has many practical applications, such as in electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control, electrostatic sprayers for coating surfaces, and electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection in electronic devices. It is also an important concept in understanding the behavior of lightning and thunderstorms.