Induced current in parallel loop

In summary, the drawing shows two circular loops of wire, one connected to a power supply and the other not connected. The current in the top loop flows from the negative to positive terminal in a counterclockwise direction. When the switch is turned on, the current in the bottom loop will flow in the opposite direction to oppose the original field, according to Lenz's law. In part B, the bottom loop experiences a constant magnetic field and starts spinning perpendicular to its original plane at a speed of two revolutions per second. The average emf induced in the bottom loop as it rotates through one-fourth of a revolution can be found using the equation V = N*B*A*w*sin(theta). In part C, if the bottom loop begins
bluedevil09

Homework Statement

The drawing below shows a circular loop of wire (raadius 0.15m) connected to a power supply. The top loop is directly over the bottom loop, which is not connected to anything.

In the picture, the loops are shown parallel with one over the other, with the perspective looking at an angle from the top. When looking from the top, the negative terminal is connected to the top loop, which then loops around CCW to the positive terminal.

A) When the switch is first turned on, in which direction will the current first flow in the bottom loop?

B) The bottom coil receives a constant magnetic field of 0.8 T from the top coil and starts spinning perpendicular to its original plane at a speed of two revolutions per second. Find the average emf induced in that coil as it rotates through one-fourth of a revolution.

C) If the bottom loop begins rotating away from the viewer (the near part of the loop begins to move down), which direction is current first induced in that loop?

Homework Equations

for B: V = N*B*A*w*sin(theta)

The others are just going to be drawings I believe

The Attempt at a Solution

A) Using RH rule, the field is going to point upwards. I believe that the current would therefore flow the same direction in the lower loop, but I'm not sure if I need to factor something else in.

If someone could just help explain to me how to figure out part A, that would be a great start. The online class I'm taking does not explain Lenz's law hardly at all, so I am not really sure how to do this. I'll move on to the other parts after I get this one.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lenz's law says the field due to the induced current will oppose the original field. No doubt you have seen the demo of dropping a magnet through a copper tube where the opposition reduces the speed of the falling magnet. If it were the other way round, you would be driving a car powered by a perpetual motion machine.

So the current has to go the opposite way around the lower loop. When answering, be aware of your class convention - is it electron flow or conventional positive flow.

Delphi51 said:
Lenz's law says the field due to the induced current will oppose the original field.

I've been trying to figure out the directions, the Lenz's law state, as well. So if we take a loop of wire, like the one in this case, doesn't the upper loop itself then induce a magnetic field that's trying to oppose the field created by the current. So when determing the direction in the lower loop, which field we take into consideration and why?

Edit: Does the induced field always have smaller magnitude than the created field? If, so then we obviously need to consider only the field created by the current.

Last edited:
This is a bit beyond my knowledge, but yes, I would expect the increasing magnetic field would induce an emf in the loop that caused it, and this emf must oppose the original current. This is the effect that gives a coil reactance so a transformer primary is not a short circuit for AC current.

Delphi51 said:
This is the effect that gives a coil reactance so a transformer primary is not a short circuit for AC current.

Yeah, that's what also ran through my mind. And since there is some current running through an inductor, or a coil, in an AC circuit, the induced field then is smaller than the one created by the current.

Wow... thank you! That is pretty easy to understand. For part B, I can figure out everything in the equation I put (with w being angular velocity = 2pi*2, N being loops = 1, A being area = pi*0.15^2, B being magnetic field = 0.8T, and theta = 90 - for quarter of a turn). This gives me the emf at 1/4 turn though, correct. If so, would the average be half of my answer?

What is induced current in parallel loop?

Induced current in parallel loop refers to the phenomenon where an electric current is generated in a closed loop of conductor due to a changing magnetic field. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is governed by Faraday's law of induction.

How is induced current in parallel loop different from series loop?

In a series loop, the current flows through each component consecutively, while in a parallel loop, the current splits and flows through different branches simultaneously. This means that in a parallel loop, the induced current is divided among the different branches based on their individual resistance.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced current in parallel loop?

The magnitude of induced current in a parallel loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, the number of turns in the loop, and the resistance of the loop. A stronger magnetic field or faster change in the field will result in a larger induced current, while a higher resistance will decrease the induced current.

How does Lenz's law relate to induced current in parallel loop?

Lenz's law states that the direction of the induced current in a closed loop is always such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that produced it. In the case of a parallel loop, this means that the induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the original changing magnetic field.

What are some real-world applications of induced current in parallel loop?

Induced current in parallel loop has several practical applications, including in transformers, generators, and electric motors. It is also used in devices such as metal detectors and magnetic resonance imaging machines. Additionally, induction cooktops use induced current in parallel loops to generate heat in cookware.