Angular Velocity of a Charged Disk under Induced Electric Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the angular velocity of a thin insulating disc with a uniformly distributed charge on its rim, when a perpendicular magnetic field is switched on. Two attempts at a solution are discussed, one of which involves considering the linear acceleration of the outer rim of the disc, leading to an incorrect answer. The correct approach is to consider the acceleration of every point on the disc and integrate it over the entire mass of the disc, taking into account the moment of inertia.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Charge Q is uniformly distributed on the rim of a thin insulating disc of mass m, radius R, which is initially at rest and placed on a smooth horizontal surface. What will be the angular velocity of the disk if a magnetic field B, perpendicular to the plane of the disk, is switched on?

Homework Equations

∫Eind.dl = -dφ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

2πR. Eind = (B.πR2)/Δt
E=BR/2Δt
QE/m = QBR/2Δtm

QE/m is acceleration.

a = Rα (α is the angular acceleration)

α = QB/2Δtm

ω = ω0 + αΔt
ω = QB/2Δtm × Δt
= QB/2m

However, the answer is QB/m.

So, I tried another approach.
2πR. Eind = (B.πR2)/Δt
E=BR/2Δt
F=QE= QBR/2Δt
τ=Iα
QBR2/2Δt = (mR2)/2 × α
From here,
α = QB/Δtm
and
ω = QB/Δtm × Δt
= QB/m
And this is the correct answer.

What is the problem with the first answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:
QE/m is acceleration.
Why? You don't have a linear acceleration.
If your disk would be a wheel this would work. Then your I would be mR^2 instead of mR^2/2, that's where the factor of 2 comes from.

Even in pure rotation, there is a certain linear acceleration. However, I think I have an inkling to where it's going wrong. Every circle on the disk would have a different linear acceleration, because a is proportional to r. So, I can't use a = Rα. That's why it would also work for a wheel.
But, I'm only considering the outer rim of charge right? Cos that's where all the charge is and that's where the induced electric field is acting. And even in writing torque (τ=QBR2/2Δt) I'm just considering the torque on the rim of the disk, i.e., R, because there isn't any charge on the inner part.
Therefore, since I'm only using the outer radius anyway, my answer shouldn't change? I mean it would make sense if the charge was all over it.
The thing is intuitively, I get that with what I'm doing in the first answer, the answer wouldn't change had there been a ring instead of the disk. I mean, I can feel that there's something inherently faulty because it's not incorporating moment of inertia and the angular velocity achieved is bound to depend on the MOI.
So, help?

The force is on the rim only, but the acceleration happens everywhere on the disk.
The outer parts will get accelerated more, the inner parts will see a smaller acceleration. If you integrate "a(r) dm" over the whole disk mass you get the force F, but that is a complicated way to find a.

Likes erisedk
Thanks! That's the first thing that's made sense in days! :DDD

What is an induced electric field?

An induced electric field is an electric field that is created in a conductor by a changing magnetic field. This change in the magnetic field induces a flow of electric current in the conductor, which generates an electric field.

How is an induced electric field created?

An induced electric field is created when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through a conductor. This change can be caused by a variety of factors, such as an external magnetic field or a moving conductor.

What is the direction of an induced electric field?

The direction of an induced electric field is always perpendicular to the direction of the changing magnetic field. This means that the direction of the electric field can change depending on the direction of the changing magnetic field.

What is the difference between an induced electric field and a static electric field?

The main difference between an induced electric field and a static electric field is that an induced electric field is created by a changing magnetic field, while a static electric field is created by stationary charges. Induced electric fields are also temporary and are only present as long as the changing magnetic field is present, while static electric fields can exist indefinitely.

How is an induced electric field measured?

An induced electric field can be measured using an instrument called a voltmeter. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in the conductor, which is a direct measure of the strength of the induced electric field.