Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced Voltage in an unclosed loop

1. Aug 21, 2015 #1
    I read the following problem on a text book:

A airplane flies at a constant speed of 680m/s perpendiculary to earth's magnetic field (of 5x10^-5 T). The wingspan of the airplane is 9.8m. What is the induced voltage?
    The answer the book gives is: E = BLv = 0.4066V

But I've been wondering if this is true. There isn't and enclosed loop. How can a simple wire moving on a magnetic field induce voltage on its terminals?

http://www.physics.sjsu.edu/becker/physics51/30_25_Lenz%27s_law_(Exercise_30-16).JPG

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2015 #2

Henryk

Gold Member

Actually, when I plugged the numbers, I got 0.3332 V. But yes, there is a voltage induced across the wings. If the wingtips were touching two parallel and stationary rails, you could measure the voltage between the rails ( or power a light bulb)

4. Aug 24, 2015 #3
    Apart from the numbers, the physical result is quite correct. You don't have to close the loop to get a voltage. Because of the velocity of the airplane, electrons in the wings have a magnetic force acting on them, pushing them toward the point a in your picture. This results in accumulation of electrons near point a, leaving behind an equal positive charge near point b. This separation of charges results in a voltage, with b at a higher, and a at a lower voltage. So this phenomenon is due to a magnetic force, and not due to induction.

5. Aug 24, 2015 #4
    Try understanding the reason for the induced voltage - when the rod moves through a magnetic field, a force acts on the electrons of the rod. This pushes them towards one side , developing an area containing excess of electrons, and at the same time a deficiency of them on the other.

This leads to an electric field, and consequently, a potential difference across the rod. Understand, if it was a closed loop, provided it was conducting, there would be , simply, a current flowing through the loop.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook