1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance problem

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    inductance, flux, capacitance
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The magnetic field at one place on the earth’s surface is 55 μT in strength and tilted 60°
    down from horizontal. A 200-turn coil having a diameter of 4.0 cm and a resistance of 2.0 Ω
    is connected to a 1.0 μF capacitor rather than to a current meter. The coil is held in a
    horizontal plane and the capacitor is discharged. The coil is then quickly rotated 180° so that
    the side that had been facing up is now facing down. Afterward, what is the voltage across
    the capacitor? [Hint: use I=dq/dt

2. Relevant equations
    LaTeX Code: \\Phi =ABcosLaTeX Code: \\theta
    I=LaTeX Code: \\Phi /L
    LaTeX Code: \\Phi =NLaTeX Code: \\Phi per coil

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok wat i did was find flux per coil=LaTeX Code: \\pi r2BcosLaTeX Code: \\theta =3.45x10-8
    then flux=3.45x10-8*200=6.9x10-6=L(di/dt)=Q/C....
    but that cant be right coz i know the answer is 12V... can someone please help me, ive been on this for 4 or hours and its 3am almost... due in tomoz... plz someone help... 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2
    any ideas??
  4. Sep 11, 2008 #3
    plz im getting disparate here... well emf=|d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt|=L*di/dt=6.91x10-6... does not sound right at all!!!
    emf=IR=>I=emf/R=... oh id dunno plz!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?