Solving Inductance Problem: Flux, Capacitance & Voltage

• Thread starter fredrick08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary, the problem involves finding the voltage across a capacitor after a coil is rotated and the capacitor is discharged. The magnetic field strength, coil specifications, and resistance are given, and the equations for flux, voltage in a capacitor and inductance are used to solve for the voltage across the capacitor. The solution process is described in the attempt at a solution, with the final answer being 12V.
fredrick08
inductance, flux, capacitance
1. Homework Statement
The magnetic field at one place on the earth’s surface is 55 μT in strength and tilted 60°
down from horizontal. A 200-turn coil having a diameter of 4.0 cm and a resistance of 2.0 Ω
is connected to a 1.0 μF capacitor rather than to a current meter. The coil is held in a
horizontal plane and the capacitor is discharged. The coil is then quickly rotated 180° so that
the side that had been facing up is now facing down. Afterward, what is the voltage across
the capacitor? [Hint: use I=dq/dt

2. Homework Equations
LaTeX Code: \\Phi =ABcosLaTeX Code: \\theta
Vc=Q/C
Vl=-L(di/dt)
Vc=-Vl
I=LaTeX Code: \\Phi /L
LaTeX Code: \\Phi =NLaTeX Code: \\Phi per coil

3. The Attempt at a Solution
ok wat i did was find flux per coil=LaTeX Code: \\pi r2BcosLaTeX Code: \\theta =3.45x10-8
then flux=3.45x10-8*200=6.9x10-6=L(di/dt)=Q/C...
but that can't be right coz i know the answer is 12V... can someone please help me, I've been on this for 4 or hours and its 3am almost... due in tomoz... please someone help...

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas??

please I am getting disparate here... well emf=|d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt|=L*di/dt=6.91x10-6... does not sound right at all!
emf=IR=>I=emf/R=... oh id don't know please!

1. What is the purpose of solving inductance problems?

The purpose of solving inductance problems is to understand the relationship between flux, capacitance, and voltage in an electrical circuit. This knowledge is essential for designing and analyzing electronic circuits, as well as troubleshooting issues that may arise.

2. How is flux related to inductance?

Flux is directly proportional to inductance in an electrical circuit. Inductance is a measure of the ability of a circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field, and flux is the measure of the strength of that magnetic field. As inductance increases, so does the flux.

3. What is the role of capacitance in solving inductance problems?

Capacitance is the measure of a circuit's ability to store electrical energy. In solving inductance problems, capacitance is important because it affects the rate at which the current changes in an inductor, which in turn affects the flux and voltage in the circuit.

4. How do you calculate inductance in a circuit?

Inductance can be calculated by dividing the total magnetic flux in a circuit by the current flowing through the circuit. This value is represented by the letter L and is measured in Henrys (H).

5. What are some common applications of inductance in electronics?

Inductance is used in a variety of electronic devices such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also a key component in circuits such as filters, oscillators, and amplifiers. Inductance is essential in the functioning of many electronic devices and systems.