How Does a Moving Magnet Induce Voltage in a Rectangular Coil?

In summary, The article discusses the relationship between Halbach arrays and magnetic levitation, specifically in regards to the voltage generated by a moving magnet over a rectangular coil. The equation presented in the article (equation 1) shows that the voltage is equal to the product of inductance and the time derivative of current, plus resistance and the product of angular frequency and peak magnetic flux. This equation is derived from the concept that magnetic flux is equal to the cross sectional area times the field strength times the cosine of the angle between them. The article also mentions that this equation is similar to the concept of alternating voltage, where the flux is changing due to a rotating cross sectional area with an angular frequency.
Sami Lakka
I read interesting article regarding Halbach arrays and magnetic levitation (see www.lmco.cn/data/assets/9197.pdf[/URL]). In the article (see equation 1) the author states that the voltage generated by moving magnet over rectangular coil is

V= L*dI/dt + RI = [tex]\omega \Phi cos(\omega t)[/tex]

Where [tex] \Phi[/tex] is the peak magnetic flux and [tex] \omega[/tex] is the frequency defined by the wavelength of the Halbach array.

Where does the right side of this equation come from. Is it derivative from sin function containing the omega and phi? How is this equation formed? I'm puzzled..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
okay I've seen something similar . So magnetic flux is (area)B*cos(x)
and voltage is the time derivative of magnetic flux . let's say that we are rotating our cross sectional area with an angular frequency so now the flux is changing and we have a voltage . I will call my angular frequency Q so the flux is AB*cos(Qt)
so the time derivative of this will be voltage . This is what they do for alternating voltage.

B= field strength

1. What is induction by moving magnet?

Induction by moving magnet is a phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conducting material.

2. How does induction by moving magnet work?

When a magnet moves relative to a conducting material, the changing magnetic field induces a current in the material through the process of electromagnetic induction.

3. What are some real-life applications of induction by moving magnet?

Induction by moving magnet is used in generators to produce electricity, in transformers to change the voltage of an electric current, and in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

4. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in induction by moving magnet?

The strength of the induced current depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the magnet, and the properties of the conducting material, such as its resistance and shape.

5. How is induction by moving magnet related to Faraday's law of induction?

Induction by moving magnet is a practical application of Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a closed circuit.