Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction motor at low voltage

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    I have got an 1HP induction motor rated at 230V(line), 60Hz. If I run it at 185V(line) at 65Hz, what factors are affected in its performance?

I am hoping for your expert advices..
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2
    If this is a single phase motor it may have starting issues and will have less torque in general regardless of single or 3 phase. I believe wiki has some good stuff on variable frequency drives. You will likely get some good ideas from there.
  4. Dec 3, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At this lower voltage, you might start to see the motor getting a little warmer than if it were running at the rated voltage. It's probably not going to be enough difference to cause too much concern however I would want to try it to see. What is your application?
    For induction motors, as Averagesupernova says, it might have a little trouble starting. Again you can try it to see.
    Here's a Wikipedia page explaining how slip effects induction motor speed.
    Induction motors

Welcome to PF
  5. Dec 4, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

By my cacluations you'll be running about 74% flux density, get about 60% peak torque and as little as 54% starting torque.
  6. Dec 4, 2008 #5
    I see that lower voltage means not so good performance.

My confusion is, if that is the case, why constant v-f is so popular. I will make my confusion clearer.
    For V-f, inverter is used to generate three phases. Inverter is fed by DC bus voltage which itself is rectified from supply voltage.
    Here is the problem,(step by step)
    -if supply voltage is 208V line,dc bus is 294V. (using three phase bridge rectifier)
    -Since max. phase voltage (from inverter) is only 0.5Vdc (about 150Vdc)
    -So,the motor driven at 208V directly is now only driven at sqrt(3)*150V/sqrt(2)=184Vrms
    line voltage.
    -Since all other V's and f's for const v-f is scaled from 184Vrms, all other values are skewed
    in their performances too.

I went through different VFD for v-f, and almost all uses same scheme. Am I missing something here?
  7. Dec 4, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you are asking here, but the general rule is to maintain a voltage to frequency ratio (V/f) to maintain the motors rated torque (230/60 in this case). So you can speed up or slow down the motor while keeping the torque constant. If you want to decrease its toruqe, reduce the V/f ratio.
    Variable-frequency drive
  8. Jun 10, 2010 #7
    Can you please explain or show your calculations for this? I have an induction motor that is nominally 400V 50Hz and I would like to know how its torque changes when running at 400V 60Hz. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?