1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Induction problem

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the G is a group of order p^n, where p is prime, and G has exactly one subgroup for each divisor of p^n. Show that G is cyclic.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, the inductive basis holds for n=1. Now for each k>=1, we assume that the claim is true for a group of order p^k where k < n. We shall show that the claim is also true for a group of order p^n.

Note that in a general case, the group of order p^n is not necessarily abelian. However, by the given inductive hypotheis, we show that the above group G of order p^n is abelian. We know that Z(G) is non-trivial for every nontrivial finite p-group and is a subgroup of G.

From this I am suppose to use the G/Z(G) theroem to show that G/Z(G) is cyclic and thus that G is abelian. However, I don't see how I this is true, for example what if |G|=p^3 and |Z(G)|=p, then G/Z(G)= p^2, which does not mean that G/Z(G) is cyclic. (If I remember right G/Z(G) has to be trivial cyclic)
    From this I can use the Fundamental Theorem of Finite Abelian Groups to get the G is isomorphic to Zp+Z(p^n-1) or Zp and then conclude that it is isomorphic to Zp.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2
    What are the divisors of [itex]p^{n}[/itex]?

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    1, p, p to m where m divides n and p^n. We know that we can't have 1 because Z(G) needs more than one lement

5. May 16, 2010 #4
    Every group has 2 subgroups, namely [itex]\{e\}[/itex] and [itex]G[/itex]. So, there is always a subgroup with 1 element.

6. May 16, 2010 #5
    {e} is always a subgroup, but in are case Z(G) cannot equal e since are group G is of order p^n, where p is a prime.

7. May 16, 2010 #6
    I'm sorry. Maybe it's trivial, but I am unfamiliar with the notation [itex]Z(G)[/itex]. What do you mean by it?

8. May 16, 2010 #7
    Z(G) is the center of the group G, for a to be an element of Z(G) a has to commute with all elements of G. Z(G) can be trivial (i.e just e) in some cases, but in this one it can't since |G|=p^n where p is a prime (p0groups have non-trivial centers).

9. May 17, 2010 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're probably supposed to use the inductive hypothesis on the quotient G/Z(G)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook