Inductive coupling & wireless power transmission

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using magnetic induction to power a small electronic device from a current carrying outlet. The problem at hand is to determine the amount of induced current in a single loop of wire placed perpendicular to a straight current wire carrying an alternating current. The individual is seeking guidance on how to use Faraday's law in this scenario, as most examples involve two coils near each other. However, it is noted that this is essentially building a transformer, which is used in the power grid to transform power. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of using online calculators to better understand the parameters and performance of the setup.
Metis
I'm considering a very simple method of powering a small electronic device from a typical current carrying outlet. I'm trying to make a theoretical prediction to the amount of current I could generate using magnetic induction.

Problem:
I have a straight current wire carrying an alternating current and I put a single loop of wire in around the it, in the perpendicular direction. I need to find out the amount of induced current generated in the loop.

I know I need to use Faraday's law but the AC part is confusing me. All the examples like this I can find involve two coils near each other like in a transformer. I have a straight wire with AC to induce current in a coil.

If anyone could help me out to how I would start this calculation that would be great

kind of like in the first picture here:
http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/EddyCurrents/Physics/inductance.htm

Engineering news on Phys.org
You may not realize it, but you are trying to build an ordinary transformer. All the power we consume from the power grid goes through transformers. So how much power? A lot!

Online calculators can help you to understand the parameters and performance.
http://dicks-website.eu/coilcalculator/index.html

Related to Inductive coupling & wireless power transmission

What is inductive coupling?

Inductive coupling is a wireless energy transfer method that uses magnetic fields to transfer power from one device to another without the need for physical contact or wires. It works by using two coils, one in the transmitting device and one in the receiving device, to create an electromagnetic field that transfers energy between them.

How does wireless power transmission work?

Wireless power transmission, specifically through inductive coupling, works by using a power source, such as a battery or power outlet, to create an oscillating magnetic field in the transmitting coil. This magnetic field then induces a current in the receiving coil, which can be used to power a device. The two coils must be placed in close proximity to each other for the energy transfer to occur.

What are the advantages of inductive coupling for wireless power transmission?

Inductive coupling offers several advantages for wireless power transmission. It eliminates the need for physical contact or wires, making it more convenient and efficient. It also allows for charging multiple devices simultaneously and can be implemented in a variety of applications, such as in smartphones, electric toothbrushes, and electric vehicles.

What are the limitations of inductive coupling for wireless power transmission?

While inductive coupling has many benefits, it also has some limitations. The distance between the two coils must be relatively close, typically within a few centimeters, for efficient energy transfer. The efficiency of the energy transfer can also be affected by factors such as coil size, materials used, and alignment between the two coils.

Is inductive coupling safe for everyday use?

Yes, inductive coupling is considered safe for everyday use. The magnetic fields used for energy transfer are typically weak and do not pose any significant health risks. In addition, most devices have safety measures in place to prevent energy transfer when there is no receiving device present, further ensuring the safety of inductive coupling for wireless power transmission.