Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductive coupling & wireless power transmission

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    I'm considering a very simple method of powering a small electronic device from a typical current carrying outlet. I'm trying to make a theoretical prediction to the amount of current I could generate using magnetic induction.

Problem:
    I have a straight current wire carrying an alternating current and I put a single loop of wire in around the it, in the perpendicular direction. I need to find out the amount of induced current generated in the loop.

I know I need to use Faraday's law but the AC part is confusing me. All the examples like this I can find involve two coils near each other like in a transformer. I have a straight wire with AC to induce current in a coil.

If anyone could help me out to how I would start this calculation that would be great

kind of like in the first picture here:
    http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/EddyCurrents/Physics/inductance.htm

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted