Converting 0-5V to 4-20mA using a Howland Current Pump for Scientists

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to convert a 0-5V signal to 0-20mA and a 1-5V signal to 4-20mA using a Howland Current Pump. The speaker mentions that they have misplaced their notes and asks for help. They are directed to a Google search result for an app note discussing the Howland Current Pump. The speaker then asks for further assistance with their specific design, mentioning the use of a LM741 and a 250ohm load. They also mention that the saturation voltage of the op-amp is +/- 13V and they have calculated their design using a compliance voltage of 5V. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for help with posting their schematic
DaineAtkins
I have a 0-5V signal which I need to convert 4-20mA by using a Howland Current pump.
I know that there are more steps to the whole process but I have misplaced all my notes that I originally had. Could someone please help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

I fully admit that I've never heard of (or at least don't remember) the Howland Current Pump. However, the first Google Thing that comes up when Googling for Howland Current Pump:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=howland+current+pump

...is an app note from National Semiconductor entitled "A Comprehensive Study of the Howland Current Pump". Quickly perusing it, it seems to present a basic inspection analysis as well as a more detailed mathematical analysis (for both basic and improved variants).

Does this help?

The Howland Current Pump doesn't seem to be working properly.
Basically, I need to convert a 0-5V signal to 0-20mA
and a 1-5V signal to 4-20mA.
If anyone could please help me a.s.a.p!

Can you post your schematic, and your test methodology / results? Or are you asking us to design your circuit for you?

While we can't do the latter, we might be able to help you with the former.

If you're not worried about output impedance / voltage levels, and have (very) low input impedance (e.g. op-amp driven output driving an analog current meter) you could just use a 250 ohm resistor.

I am using a LM741 with an input of 5V and I need a 0-20mA output with a 250ohm load
I know that the saturation voltage of the op-amp is +/- 13V. I have calculated my design using a compliance voltage of 5V.
How do I post my schematic?

Related to Converting 0-5V to 4-20mA using a Howland Current Pump for Scientists

What are industry standard conversions?

Industry standard conversions refer to the process of converting units of measurement to a widely accepted standard used in a specific industry. This allows for consistency and accuracy in measurements across different companies and locations.

Why are industry standard conversions important?

Industry standard conversions are important because they ensure that all companies within an industry are using the same units of measurement. This allows for easy communication and comparison of data, and helps to avoid any confusion or errors due to using different measurement systems.

What are some common units of measurement used in industry standard conversions?

Some common units of measurement used in industry standard conversions include length (meters, feet), weight (kilograms, pounds), volume (liters, gallons), and time (seconds, minutes, hours).

How are industry standard conversions determined?

Industry standard conversions are determined by a governing body or organization within a specific industry. This organization will establish the standard units of measurement to be used and provide conversion factors for other commonly used units.

Can industry standard conversions vary between different industries?

Yes, industry standard conversions can vary between different industries. Each industry may have its own set of standard units of measurement and conversion factors based on the specific needs and requirements of that industry.