Inelastic collision of railcar

In summary, the question involves a 56 ton freight car moving at 7.0 mi/h towards a 31 ton car moving at 26 mi/h in the same direction. To find the speed of the pair after coupling, the initial momentum must be calculated. The fraction of the initial kinetic energy lost in the collision is expressed as lost energy/initial energy. Converting to SI units may make the calculations easier, but is not necessary.
frasifrasi
Ok, the question is the following:

"In a railroad switchyard, a 56 ton freight car is sent at 7.0 mi/h toward a 31 ton car that is moving in the same direction at 26 mi/h."

- what is the speed of the pair after they couple together?
-what fraction of the initial kinetic energy was lost in the collision?

--> My questions is, to find the momentum, do I need to convert the units to kg? I have seen it in examples where the units are not converted. Does it matter?

--> Also, the fraction of energy lost is expressed as lost energy/initial energy , is that correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to convert to SI, but it makes everything so much easier and nicer. I learned physics (and I'm assuming most people are the same... and hoping) all in SI, so to me it just feels nicer :P It wouldn't be difficult; just look up a conversion table on google, or something.

For the second part, I would say that the question is asking what the ratio of the initial kinetic energy to the final kinetic energy.

In other words, initial kinetic energy/final kinetic energy.

Hope that helps!

Ok, I see.

My point was, if I do the calculations with tons, the answer for momentum will be in mi/h, right? So, that is really no point in converting to kg, it is easier just to look at final answer and convert it to SI (m/s) then. Is that a correct way of looking at it?

frasifrasi said:
So, that is really no point in converting to kg, it is easier just to look at final answer and convert it to SI (m/s) then. Is that a correct way of looking at it?

I agree 100%. :smile:

Examiners will take marks off if you create extra work for yourself!

Actually … don't even bother to convert it to m/s at the end unless you think the examiners want you to.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike the English system of units; it can lower a students confidence in solving problems while they are trying to learn the concepts.

As you probably know, kg is mass and not weight. In a pound is the English systems unit of force (where as it is a Newton in SI). For mass, the English system has units known as Slugs. So if you have a 10 lb weight, then it has a mass of about 0.31 Slugs [(10lb/32.2ft/s^2)=0.31 Slugs]

1. What is an inelastic collision of a railcar?

An inelastic collision of a railcar is a type of collision in which the two objects involved stick together after impact and move as one combined mass. This is in contrast to an elastic collision where the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. What factors affect the outcome of an inelastic collision of a railcar?

The outcome of an inelastic collision of a railcar is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the angle of impact, and the materials and structure of the objects.

3. How does the conservation of momentum apply to inelastic collisions of railcars?

The conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. In the case of inelastic collisions of railcars, the total momentum of the system is conserved, but some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat and sound.

4. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and a perfectly inelastic collision of railcars?

In an inelastic collision, the objects involved stick together after impact and move as one combined mass. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects not only stick together, but they also deform and lose some of their kinetic energy in the process.

5. Why is the study of inelastic collisions of railcars important?

The study of inelastic collisions of railcars is important for understanding the behavior of objects in motion and for designing and improving transportation systems. It also has practical applications in accident reconstruction and forensic investigations.