Inelastic collision, two cars approach each other at intersection.

In summary, two cars with masses of 928.4 kg and 951.2 kg, traveling in opposite directions at 21.4 m/s and 39.5 m/s respectively, collide in an inelastic collision. The resultant velocity after the collision is 9.41 m/s, which can be found by using the conservation of momentum in both the x and y components.
IDKPhysics101
Two cars approach each other at an intersection. One car has a mass of 928.4 kg and is traveling in the negative y direction with a velocity of 21.4 m/s. The second car has a mass of 951.2 kg and is traveling in the positive x direction with a velocity of 39.5 m/s. If the collision is totally inelastic, what is the magnitude of the resultant velocity (in m/s) after the collision?

V=9.41 m/s?

I don't have time to type my work right now. But will show work if answer is wrong to see where i went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get more than twice that value, but I often make mistakes in calculations. It will be interesting to see your method.

m1vo1 + m2vo2 = (m1 + m2)V

(928.4)(-21.4) + (951.2)(39.5)=(928.4 + 951.2)V

17704.64=1879.6V

V=9.41

your equation:
m1vo1 + m2vo2 = (m1 + m2)V
is for one dimensional case. But you have a 2D problem. Momentum is conserved, and so is its y and x components.

my teacher has not clearly presented the X & Y compents in this type of probelm. would i use something along the lines of that problem but have cos and sin in there somewhere?

Momentum is a vector quantity, just draw those two vectors. That collision is inelastic, means that two masses stick together and travel as one after collision. But because, momentum is conserved, both components of momentum will be conserved too (x and y components). You can simply spot right triangle here, with Pythagorean theorem crying to be used ;]

North/south: mv before = mv after; solve for vy after
East/west: mv before = mv after; solve for vx after
Combine vx and vy with Pythagorean theorem to get the combined velocity after the collision.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is not equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. How does an inelastic collision differ from an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision is equal. This means that the objects bounce off each other and there is no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and there is a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or heat.

3. What factors determine the outcome of an inelastic collision?

The outcome of an inelastic collision is determined by the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The larger the mass and the higher the velocity, the greater the loss of kinetic energy and the more inelastic the collision will be.

4. Can an inelastic collision be perfectly inelastic?

Yes, an inelastic collision can be perfectly inelastic, meaning that the two objects stick together and move as one after the collision. This occurs when the objects have the same mass and the same velocity before the collision.

5. How is the momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentum after the collision. However, the kinetic energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision.