1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality from GRE

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1
    So I was helping my gf go over some GRE math questions, and we came across a strange question.

Solve for x and y

I said that the answer would be

y<7/9 and x<14/9

this is the right answer, but she asked how that works. How do both the equality and inequality hold true at the same time? Shouldn't the answer be undetermined? I don't quite know how to answer the question. My opinion is that as long as both x and y are less than their respective inequality, then the equality will then hold.

Are there any more precise thoughts or theories regarding the subject?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

Gold Member

If that is the right answer, it simply means that x and y have to simultaneously satisfy the conditions that y<7/ and x<14/9 and x=2y. So in other words, x = -5 and y = -3 would not satisfy the equation but x = -5 and y = -2.5 will. Your idea is a bit backwards, the equality holding is a much stronger condition but in the end, one condition being being true doesn't mean other is true
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  4. Apr 3, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The inequality 5x<y+7 corresponds to the half plane above the line y=5x-7. The solutions correspond to the portion of the line x=2y that lies in that half plane.
  5. Apr 4, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

Since x= 2y, the second inequality becomes 5(2y)< y+ 7. 10y< y+ 7 so 9y< 7, y< 7/9.

I would be inclined to say that "y< 7/9, x< 14/9" is NOT the correct answer because that implies that any point (x, y) in the quadrant of R2 satisfying x< 14/9, y< 7/9, satisfies those. That is not the case. The correct answer is "y< 7/9, x= 2y". That is, the solution set is the ray x= 2y for all y< 7/9.
  6. Apr 4, 2010 #5
    Ah yes, that sounds better to me too. Even though that's not a possible answer, it makes better mathematical sense, and I agree that it should in fact be the ray x= 2y for all y< 7/9.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook