Solving Inequality with x=2y - Answers & Theories

In summary, the solution for the given equations is y<7/9 and x<14/9. This means that x and y must simultaneously satisfy the conditions of y<7/9 and x<14/9, and also satisfy the equality x=2y. The correct answer is not "y<7/9 and x<14/9" but rather "y<7/9 and x=2y", which represents the ray x=2y for all y<7/9. This is because the inequality 5x<y+7 corresponds to the half plane above the line y=5x-7, and the solutions correspond to the portion of the line x=2y that lies in that half
Mindscrape
So I was helping my gf go over some GRE math questions, and we came across a strange question.

Solve for x and y
x=2y
5x<y+7

I said that the answer would be

y<7/9 and x<14/9

this is the right answer, but she asked how that works. How do both the equality and inequality hold true at the same time? Shouldn't the answer be undetermined? I don't quite know how to answer the question. My opinion is that as long as both x and y are less than their respective inequality, then the equality will then hold.

Are there any more precise thoughts or theories regarding the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
If that is the right answer, it simply means that x and y have to simultaneously satisfy the conditions that y<7/ and x<14/9 and x=2y. So in other words, x = -5 and y = -3 would not satisfy the equation but x = -5 and y = -2.5 will. Your idea is a bit backwards, the equality holding is a much stronger condition but in the end, one condition being being true doesn't mean other is true

Last edited:
The inequality 5x<y+7 corresponds to the half plane above the line y=5x-7. The solutions correspond to the portion of the line x=2y that lies in that half plane.

Since x= 2y, the second inequality becomes 5(2y)< y+ 7. 10y< y+ 7 so 9y< 7, y< 7/9.

I would be inclined to say that "y< 7/9, x< 14/9" is NOT the correct answer because that implies that any point (x, y) in the quadrant of R2 satisfying x< 14/9, y< 7/9, satisfies those. That is not the case. The correct answer is "y< 7/9, x= 2y". That is, the solution set is the ray x= 2y for all y< 7/9.

HallsofIvy said:
Since x= 2y, the second inequality becomes 5(2y)< y+ 7. 10y< y+ 7 so 9y< 7, y< 7/9.

I would be inclined to say that "y< 7/9, x< 14/9" is NOT the correct answer because that implies that any point (x, y) in the quadrant of R2 satisfying x< 14/9, y< 7/9, satisfies those. That is not the case. The correct answer is "y< 7/9, x= 2y". That is, the solution set is the ray x= 2y for all y< 7/9.

Ah yes, that sounds better to me too. Even though that's not a possible answer, it makes better mathematical sense, and I agree that it should in fact be the ray x= 2y for all y< 7/9.

What is the equation for solving inequality with x=2y?

The equation for solving inequality with x=2y is x=2y.

What are the steps for solving inequality with x=2y?

The steps for solving inequality with x=2y are as follows:

1. Substitute x=2y into the inequality.
  2. Simplify the inequality using algebraic operations.
  3. Isolate the variable y on one side of the inequality sign.
  4. Divide both sides of the inequality by the coefficient of y.
  5. The solution to the inequality is y= x/2.

How do I graph the solution for inequality with x=2y?

To graph the solution for inequality with x=2y, plot the points (0,0) and (2,1) on a coordinate plane and draw a line connecting them. Then, shade in the area above the line to represent the solution to the inequality.

What does the solution to inequality with x=2y represent?

The solution to inequality with x=2y represents all the possible values of y that make the inequality true when x is equal to 2 times y.

Can the solution to inequality with x=2y be more than one value?

Yes, the solution to inequality with x=2y can be more than one value. Since the inequality only involves one variable, there are infinite values of y that can satisfy the inequality when x=2y.