Convergence of Infinite Series: Two Examples

In summary: That is incorrect. Try substituting a few values of k and you should immediately see what this term is. In general we have the rule:\frac{a^x}{a^y} = a^{x-y}which you can use to calculate this term.Anyway if you want to show that a series \sum a_i diverges a common way is to show that you can find a positive number M such that a_i \geq M. In your specific example can you find a lower bound for 1-\frac{2^{k-1}-1}{2^{k+1}}?
fender5791
Okay, there's two questions, actually.

First, determine if the series converges.

SUM: (n-2)/(n^2-4n) (from n=5 to infinity)

I used the integral test, found the integral to be 1/2 log(n^2-4n) from x=5 to x=t as t approaches infinity. That turned out to go to infinity so the series diverges.

Does this seem right or did I do something wrong?

Second, Suppose a series is the SUM: (1 - ((2^(k-1) - 1) / (2^(k+1)))

Does the sum of the series converge or diverge? I'm not really even sure where to start this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
fender5791 said:
Okay, there's two questions, actually.

First, determine if the series converges.

SUM: (n-2)/(n^2-4n) (from n=5 to infinity)

I used the integral test, found the integral to be 1/2 log(n^2-4n) from x=5 to x=t as t approaches infinity. That turned out to go to infinity so the series diverges.

Does this seem right or did I do something wrong?
I used the ratio test and concluded the same thing.
fender5791 said:
Second, Suppose a series is the SUM: (1 - ((2^(k-1) - 1) / (2^(k+1)))

Does the sum of the series converge or diverge? I'm not really even sure where to start this one.

Here's what I think your series is:
[tex]\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1 - 2^{k - 1} - 1}{2^{k + 1}}[/tex]

If that's what it is, there's a lot of simplification you can do. After that you should be able to quickly determine whether it converges or not.

Mark44 said:
I used the ratio test and concluded the same thing.

Here's what I think your series is:
[tex]\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} \frac{1 - 2^{k - 1} - 1}{2^{k + 1}}[/tex]

If that's what it is, there's a lot of simplification you can do. After that you should be able to quickly determine whether it converges or not.

No sorry, the first one is outside, then subtract the quantity starting with 2^k-1

Like this?
[tex]\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} \left(1 - \frac{2^{k - 1} - 1}{2^{k + 1}}\right)[/tex]

Try expanding the series to see what the first few terms look like.

Mark44 said:
Like this?
[tex]\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty} \left(1 - \frac{2^{k - 1} - 1}{2^{k + 1}}\right)[/tex]

Try expanding the series to see what the first few terms look like.

YEs, and I tried that. I did the limit as k went to infinity of 2^(k-1) / 2^(k+1) which I think is one, then the last bit is zero, so the total went to zero which doesn't help me much.

fender5791 said:
YEs, and I tried that. I did the limit as k went to infinity of 2^(k-1) / 2^(k+1) which I think is one, then the last bit is zero, so the total went to zero which doesn't help me much.

That is incorrect. Try substituting a few values of k and you should immediately see what this term is. In general we have the rule:
[tex]\frac{a^x}{a^y} = a^{x-y}[/tex]
which you can use to calculate this term.

Anyway if you want to show that a series [itex]\sum a_i[/itex] diverges a common way is to show that you can find a positive number M such that [itex]a_i \geq M[/itex]. In your specific example can you find a lower bound for
[tex]1-\frac{2^{k-1}-1}{2^{k+1}}[/tex]
?

Thank you, got it now.

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It can be written in the form of ∑an, where a represents the terms of the series and n represents the number of terms.

What is convergence of an infinite series?

A series is said to be convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of the terms becomes closer and closer to a specific value as n approaches infinity.

How do you determine if an infinite series converges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence of an infinite series. Some common tests include the comparison test, ratio test, and the integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms of the series to determine if it approaches a finite value or not.

What is the significance of infinite series convergence?

Infinite series convergence is important in mathematics and science as it allows us to find the sum of an infinite number of terms, which can have practical applications in various fields. It also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their limits.

What happens if an infinite series does not converge?

If an infinite series does not converge, it is said to be divergent. This means that the sum of the terms does not approach a finite value and may either increase or decrease without bound. Divergent series can still have practical applications, but they require a different approach to analyze and understand their behavior.