Showing Convergence & Estimating Limit of Alternating Series

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the convergence of the series and compute an estimate of the limit with an error of no more than 0.005. The method involves setting up a fraction and solving for n, as well as taking the log and finding the maximum value to show that the limit goes to zero.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

Show that the series converges. Then compute an estimate of the limit that is guaranteed to be in error by no more than 0.005

[tex]\sum_{k=5}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{k^{10}}{10^k}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is obviously an alternating series and I know that

[tex]C_{k} = \frac{k^{10}}{10^k}[/tex]

and I know that Cn+1 is greater than the absolute value of S-Sn. So I can set up to be something like

[tex]\frac{(n+1)^{10}}{10^{n+1}} <= 0.005[/tex]

the part I can't figure out is how to solve that for n. Is there a way to simplify that fraction? How would I solve this for n? Thanks

Oh and I also couldn't figure out how to exactly show that the limit as k-> infinity of Ck goes to 0 without taking the derivative 10 times. So the whole problem I am having is with the fraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to show the limit goes to zero, take the log and try showing that the limit of that goes to -infinity. Once you done that also find the value of x where x^10/10^x is a maximum by maximizing the log. Then you know it's decreasing after that value. No, I don't think you can really 'solve for n'. But once you know where the series is decreasing, just find an n so the term is less that 0.005.

Thanks, that makes sense.

1. What is the definition of convergence for an alternating series?

Convergence for an alternating series refers to the behavior of the terms in the series as the number of terms increases towards infinity. Specifically, it means that the series approaches a specific value, known as the limit, as the number of terms increases indefinitely.

2. How do you determine if an alternating series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an alternating series is convergent or divergent, you can use the alternating series test, which states that if the series satisfies three conditions (the terms alternate in sign, the absolute value of the terms decreases, and the limit of the terms approaches zero), then the series is convergent. If any of these conditions are not met, the series is divergent.

3. What is the formula for estimating the limit of an alternating series?

The formula for estimating the limit of an alternating series is the alternating series estimation theorem, which states that the limit of the series is between the partial sum of the first n terms and the partial sum of the first n+1 terms. In other words, the limit is the average of these two partial sums.

4. Can an alternating series have a limit but still be divergent?

Yes, an alternating series can have a limit but still be divergent. This is known as conditional convergence, meaning that the series converges only when certain conditions are met. If these conditions are not met, the series diverges.

5. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence for alternating series?

Absolute convergence for an alternating series means that the series is convergent regardless of the order in which the terms are added. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, means that the series is convergent only when certain conditions are met. In other words, absolute convergence is a stronger form of convergence than conditional convergence.