1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Series

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the series converges. Then compute an estimate of the limit that is guaranteed to be in error by no more than 0.005

[tex]\sum_{k=5}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{k^{10}}{10^k}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is obviously an alternating series and I know that

[tex]C_{k} = \frac{k^{10}}{10^k}[/tex]

and I know that Cn+1 is greater than the absolute value of S-Sn. So I can set up to be something like

[tex]\frac{(n+1)^{10}}{10^{n+1}} <= 0.005[/tex]

the part I can't figure out is how to solve that for n. Is there a way to simplify that fraction? How would I solve this for n? Thanks

Oh and I also couldn't figure out how to exactly show that the limit as k-> infinity of Ck goes to 0 without taking the derivative 10 times. So the whole problem I am having is with the fraction.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to show the limit goes to zero, take the log and try showing that the limit of that goes to -infinity. Once you done that also find the value of x where x^10/10^x is a maximum by maximizing the log. Then you know it's decreasing after that value. No, I don't think you can really 'solve for n'. But once you know where the series is decreasing, just find an n so the term is less that 0.005.

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3
    Thanks, that makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?