Infinitely differentiable complex functions

In summary: The function as expressed in post #1 is not analytic because it is not defined in an open neighborhood of the point under discussion. f(z) = z2 for x> 0 and f(z) = 0 otherwise is not even continuous at the origin.In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiability and analyticity of complex functions, particularly the function z^2. It is stated that a complex function is infinitely differentiable if it is differentiable at all points in its domain. However, a counterexample is given with the function f(x)=0 for x≤0 and f(x) = x^2 for x≥0, showing that the function is only differentiable at 0 but not at other
ppy
Hi
I am attempting to self-study Complex Analysis but i am confused over a couple of points.

1 - my book says "if a complex function is differentiable once throughout its domain of definition then it is infinitely differentiable" . How does this apply to z^2 ? If you differentiate it once you get 2z, differentiating again gives 2 and once more gives 0.

2- My book states that this infinitely differentiable point contrasts with the real case and gives an example of f(x)=0 for x≤0 and f(x) = x^2 for x≥0 and then goes on to say the second derivative at 0 does not exist, being 0 from the left and 2 from the right. But it seems to me that the same would happen for z^2 ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ppy said:
1 - my book says "if a complex function is differentiable once throughout its domain of definition then it is infinitely differentiable" . How does this apply to z^2 ? If you differentiate it once you get 2z, differentiating again gives 2 and once more gives 0.
And if you do it again, you get 0. Next time, 0. Next time, 0. Next time,...

You never get something like |z|, which is not differentiable.

ppy said:
2- My book states that this infinitely differentiable point contrasts with the real case and gives an example of f(x)=0 for x≤0 and f(x) = x^2 for x≥0 and then goes on to say the second derivative at 0 does not exist, being 0 from the left and 2 from the right. But it seems to me that the same would happen for z^2 ?
Hm, the f defined by
$$
f(z)=
\begin{cases}
0 & \text{if }\operatorname{Re} z<0\\
z^2 & \text{if }\operatorname{Re} z\geq 0
\end{cases}
$$ appears to be differentiable at 0, once, but not three times. So if we didn't both make the same mistake, you remember the theorem wrong. A quick look at Wikipedia suggests that this is the case.

Wikipedia said:
A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function of one or more complex variables that is complex differentiable in a neighborhood of every point in its domain. The existence of a complex derivative in a neighborhood is a very strong condition, for it implies that any holomorphic function is actually infinitely differentiable and equal to its own Taylor series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holomorphic_function

The theorem doesn't ensure that our f is smooth, because it's differentiable only at the point 0, not at every point in some open set that contains 0. Try applying the definition of "differentiable" to this f at some non-zero point on the imaginary axis.

Note that in the real case, the function is differentiable on all of ℝ, not just at 0.

Thanks for your reply but I'm still confused on 2nd point.
If I differentiate z^2 once I get 2z. Differentiating again gives 2 so at the point 0 I have 2 different derivatives ; 0 and 2 so the derivative doesn't exist as in the real case ?

PS the book I'm using is "functions of a complex variable" by D.O. Tall

ppy said:
Thanks for your reply but I'm still confused on 2nd point.
If I differentiate z^2 once I get 2z. Differentiating again gives 2 so at the point 0 I have 2 different derivatives ; 0 and 2 so the derivative doesn't exist as in the real case ?
That's right. Both in the real case and in the complex case, the first and second order derivatives exist, but the third order derivative doesn't.

Thanks again but my book says that complex analytic functions are always infinitely differentiable in contrast to real functions but the above example shows that x^2 and z^2 are both not infinitely differentiable if we have f(x)=0 and f(z)=0 for x<0 and Re(z)<0

ppy said:
Thanks again but my book says that complex analytic functions are always infinitely differentiable in contrast to real functions but the above example shows that x^2 and z^2 are both not infinitely differentiable if we have f(x)=0 and f(z)=0 for x<0 and Re(z)<0
Do you mean "complex differentiable"? In that case, you are either remembering or interpreting the theorem wrong. See my comment in post #2, including the Wikipedia quote. The result we found doesn't contradict the theorem that says that functions that are complex differentiable on an open set are complex analytic on that set, because {0} is not an open set.

Likes 1 person
The function f(z) = z2 for Re(z) > 0, 0 for Re(z) <=0 is not even continuous at, any point on the imaginary axis except for 0. The infinite differentiability theorem you're quoting relies on the domain of definition being open, and this is a good example of why (if you cut out just the imaginary axis but leave the origin, then your domain is not open)

There seems to be some confusion about the function under discussion.
f(z) = z2 for ALL z is analytic.
f(x) = x2 for x >0 and f(x) = 0 otherwise is not.

Related to Infinitely differentiable complex functions

What are infinitely differentiable complex functions?

Infinitely differentiable complex functions are functions that can be differentiated an infinite number of times at every point in their domain. They are functions of a complex variable, meaning they take complex numbers as inputs and give complex numbers as outputs.

What is the significance of infinitely differentiable complex functions?

Infinitely differentiable complex functions are important in mathematics and physics because they have many useful properties, such as being analytic (having a power series expansion) and being able to be integrated along any path in the complex plane. They also have applications in engineering, particularly in signal processing and control theory.

How are infinitely differentiable complex functions different from real-valued functions?

Infinitely differentiable complex functions are different from real-valued functions in that they have a domain and range of complex numbers, rather than just real numbers. This means that they have both a real and imaginary component, and their derivatives are also complex-valued.

Can all complex functions be infinitely differentiable?

No, not all complex functions are infinitely differentiable. For a function to be infinitely differentiable, it must have a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This is not always the case for complex functions, as they can have singularities and other points where the derivative is not defined.

What are some examples of infinitely differentiable complex functions?

Examples of infinitely differentiable complex functions include polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions. In fact, any function that can be expressed as a power series is infinitely differentiable.