1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinitely Long Cylindrical Surface Problem

1. Feb 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is my problem. I don't fully understand Gauss' law so any assistance there would be greatly appreciated
    Charge is distributed uniformly throughout the volume of an infinitely long cylinder of radius R = 4.00×10-2 m. The charge density is 1.00×10-2 C/ m3. What is the electric field at r = 2.00×10-2 m?
    (in N/C)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that gauss' law is the integral EdA and that the E for a cylinder is lamda/2pi(E0)r , but I don't understand it for an infinite cylinder

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2009 #2
    nevermind figured it out

4. Feb 12, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You mention Gauss' law, so maybe you are supposed to use it to find the answer rather than that formula. You must imagine a cylinder that has the point you are interested in on its surface. Just the given charged cylinder will do nicely in this case. You figure out how much charge is inside - maybe use L for the length and let it tend to infinity in your final answer (most likely it will cancel out before then). Looks like E will be the same at all points around the cylinder so that integral is very easy. Solve for E. I would expect the answer to be just that formula lamda/2pi(E0)r which is for an infinitely long line of charge.

Of course you will put the numbers in to find a numerical answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook