Can Higgs Particles Cause Universe Expansion Due to Negative Density?

In summary, the article claims that the Higgs boson of the standard model can lead to inflation and produce cosmological perturbations in accordance with observations. However, the article does not provide a link to the article, so I'm not sure if this is an established theory or if this is a new theory that has not been confirmed yet.
Invariant
Please apologise to my poor English, and I am the bigginner in this field.

I have recently read about The inflation of the universe. It said that The Higgs Particles causes universe expansion with acceleration because of its negative density.
Does it mean it has a negative mass or a negative volume? Can it be possible? Or It has some deep meaning about negative condensation? (In fact I don't even know what it plays role in standard model.) Moreover, the issue said that The Higgs Particle is one of a candidate to be dark matter. Dark matter is pushing space apart? I don't get it.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Invariant said:
Please apologise to my poor English, and I am the bigginner in this field.

I have recently read about The inflation of the universe. It said that The Higgs Particles causes universe expansion with acceleration because of its negative density.
I think that all modern theories of inflation postulate the existence of a field, separate to the Higgs, that drives inflation. To the best of my knowledge, the Higgs field is the field that every particle in the standard model interacts with, and from this interaction obtains its mass.
Does it mean it has a negative mass or a negative volume? Can it be possible? Or It has some deep meaning about negative condensation? (In fact I don't even know what it plays role in standard model.)
The inflaton does not have a negative density, but instead has a negative pressure. That is, it has the equation of state p=-rho.
Moreover, the issue said that The Higgs Particle is one of a candidate to be dark matter. Dark matter is pushing space apart? I don't get it.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Perhaps you mean dark energy, since that is what we call the energy that is causing the current acceleration of the expansion of the universe. However, I'm pretty sure that dark energy cannot be the Higgs either.

Perhaps you could provide a link to the article you have read?

As fate would have it, I came across this paper today which indeed describes a situation in which the inflaton and the Higgs are the same particle. The idea does require a non-minimal coupling between the Higgs and gravity (i.e there are terms in the action which involve multiples of the Higgs scalar field and the Ricci scalar) but there are no new particles required.

A search on spire for SHAPOSHNIKOV , M resulted in 216 hits.
http://www-spires.slac.stanford.edu/spires/find/hep/www?rawcmd=FIND+a+shaposhnikov+,+m&SKIP=0
-------------
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/0710.3755
The Standard Model Higgs boson as the inflaton
Authors: F.L. Bezrukov, M.E. Shaposhnikov
(Submitted on 19 Oct 2007 (v1), last revised 9 Jan 2008 (this version, v2))
We argue that the Higgs boson of the Standard Model can lead to inflation and produce cosmological perturbations in accordance with observations. An essential requirement is the non-minimal coupling of the Higgs scalar field to gravity; no new particle besides already present in the electroweak theory is required.

This provides an extra argument in favour of absence of a new energy scale between the electroweak and Planck scales, advocated in [32].
--------
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/0708.3550
Is there a new physics between electroweak and Planck scales?
Authors: Mikhail Shaposhnikov
(Submitted on 27 Aug 2007)
We argue that there may be no intermediate particle physics energy scale between the Planck mass $M_{Pl}\sim 10^{19}$ GeV and the electroweak scale $M_W \sim 100$ GeV. At the same time, the number of problems of the Standard Model (neutrino masses and oscillations, dark matter, baryon asymmetry of the Universe, strong CP-problem, gauge coupling unification, inflation) could find their solution at $M_{Pl}$ or $M_W$. The crucial experimental predictions of this point of view are outlined.

----------

Note: The minimum length would be 10^-18.
--------
jal

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can Higgs Particles Cause Universe Expansion Due to Negative Density?

1. What is inflation in the context of the Big Bang theory?

Inflation is a theory that proposes that the universe underwent a rapid and exponential expansion in the first few moments after the Big Bang. This period of inflation is thought to have lasted for a fraction of a second but had a significant impact on the structure of the universe we see today.

2. What is the Higgs particle and why is it important?

The Higgs particle, also known as the Higgs boson, is a subatomic particle that was theorized to exist in the 1960s. It is essential because it helps explain how particles have mass, which is a fundamental property of matter. The discovery of the Higgs particle in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which gives particles their mass.

3. How does the Higgs particle relate to inflation?

Inflation and the Higgs particle are two separate theories that are not directly related. However, the Higgs field plays a role in the inflation theory as it is thought to have been responsible for driving the rapid expansion of the universe during the inflationary period.

4. What evidence supports the theory of inflation?

There is solid evidence to support the theory of inflation, including the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang. This radiation shows a nearly uniform temperature across the universe, and inflation explains how this uniformity was achieved. Other evidence includes the observed large-scale structure of the universe and the distribution of galaxies.

5. How does the study of inflation and the Higgs particle contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying inflation and the Higgs particle helps us understand the origins and evolution of the universe. The inflation theory helps explain the initial conditions of the universe, while the Higgs particle provides insight into the fundamental properties of matter. Together, they contribute to the broader understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it.