Inflection points, Intervals and minimum value of a Function

In summary: And you need the second derivative to help you figure out the concavity.So, the first step is to find the derivatives.f'(t) = -2sin(t) - 2cos(t)sin(t)f''(t) = -2cos(t) - 2sin^2(t) + 2cos^2(t)Now, we can start analyzing.f'(t) = 0 when -2sin(t) - 2cos(t)sin(t) = 0-2sin(t)(1+cos(t)) = 0sin(t) = 0 or cos(t) = -1So, t = 0 or t = pi/2. f'(t)
AcecA

Homework Statement

Consider the function below. (Round the answers to two decimal places. If you need to use - or , enter -INFINITY or INFINITY.)
f(θ) = 2cos(θ) + (cos (θ))^2
0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π
(a) Find the interval of increase.
( , )

Find the interval of decrease.
( , )

(b) Find the local minimum value.

(c) Find the inflection points.
( , ) (smaller x value)
( , ) (larger x value)

Find the interval where the function is concave up.
( , )

Find the intervals where the function is concave down. (Enter the interval that contains smaller numbers first.)
( , ) ( , )

Homework Equations

f(θ) = 2cos(θ) + (cos (θ))2
0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using sign analysis with the second derivative (I definitely know that you have to use the second derivative) and all of the values for it. Thus:
_____________-2sinx 1 + cosx f'(x) f(x)
0 = 0
0 < x < pi/2
x = pi/2
pi/2 < x < pi
x = pi
pi < x < 3pi/2
x = 3pi/2
3pi/2 < x < 2pi
x = 2 pi

But I honestly don't know where to go from there

Homework Statement

Consider the function below. (Give your answers correct to two decimal places. If you need to use - or , enter -INFINITY or INFINITY.)
f(x) = e^[-1/(x + 2)]

(c) Find the inflection point.
( , )

Find the intervals where the function is concave up.
( , ) ( , )

Homework Equations

f(x) = e^[-1/(x + 2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried something similar to the above question

Physics news on Phys.org
You have f(t) = 2cos(t) + cos^2(t) -- (I'm using t instead of theta)

I don't see where you have found f'(t) or f''(t). You need both of those derivatives in order to talk about where f is increasing/decreasing and where the inflection points are.

1. What are inflection points and why are they important in a function?

Inflection points are points on a curve where the concavity changes. They are important because they indicate a change in the direction of curvature and can help identify critical points such as maximum or minimum values.

2. How do you find the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing?

To find the intervals of increase or decrease, you can take the first derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. The solutions to this equation will give the critical points where the function may change direction. You can then use the first or second derivative test to determine if the function is increasing or decreasing in these intervals.

3. How can you determine the minimum value of a function?

The minimum value of a function can be determined by taking the second derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The solutions to this equation will give the critical points where the function may have a local minimum. You can also use the first derivative test to verify that the function has a minimum at these points.

4. Can a function have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a function can have multiple inflection points. These points will occur where the second derivative of the function changes sign. In other words, the function's concavity will change more than once across the curve.

5. How do inflection points and minimum values relate to the graph of a function?

Inflection points and minimum values are important features that can be identified on the graph of a function. An inflection point will appear as a point where the curve changes direction, while a minimum value will appear as the lowest point on the curve. These features can help us analyze the behavior of a function and make predictions about its behavior.