How do actuators in fly-by-wire systems on aircraft work?

• Thread starter lucy_b14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of actuators in fly-by-wire systems on aircraft. The actuator receives electrical signals from an onboard computer and moves the control surfaces. Some systems use hydraulics, which require heavy fluids and pumps, and may use a stepper motor to control them. The newer trend is towards all-electrical systems, which reduces the weight of the aircraft.
lucy_b14
Hi, I'm doing some research into fly-by-wire system on aircraft and need some more information on actuators. I know that electrical signals are sent to the actuator from an onboard computer, but I'm not sure how the actuators then move the control surfaces. Do they use hydraulics? If so how do they convert the electrical signal into movement in the hydraulic system. From my knowledge of hydraulics I know that some form of force needs to be applied to move the piston. Is an electric motor used for this?

Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suspect that for the controls of of an RC plane you would want a small stepper motor. These can be quite small and can be given digital commands to move a small fraction of a revolution. This would give you very good control of your aircrafts control surfaces. Hydraulics require heavy fluids and pumps and still must be controlled by an electric motor of some sort.

My money is on a stepper motor. Simple, direct,, but somewhat expensive. If you only needed 2 positions then you could use a cheaper DC motor.

The older fly-by systems used a combination of electrical and hydraulics. The electrical signal was sent to a solenoid valve and was controlled using a scheme called Pulse Width Modulation. This essentially allowed for extremely fast actuation and positioning of a hydraulic actuator. The newest version I can think of is on the new Airbus A380 which uses both electrical and hydraulic. Refer to the paragraph entitled "Dual Architecture System."

http://www.fpweb.com/archive/aerospace1202.html

The trend now is toward all electrical systems, thus greatly reducing the weight required for hydraulic systems.

http://www.afrlhorizons.com/Briefs/0006/VA9902.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an actuator?

An actuator is a type of mechanical or electronic device that is responsible for controlling or moving a system or mechanism. It can convert electrical, hydraulic, or pneumatic energy into mechanical motion.

2. What are the different types of actuators?

There are several types of actuators, including electric, hydraulic, pneumatic, and mechanical. Electric actuators use electricity to produce motion, while hydraulic actuators use pressurized fluid. Pneumatic actuators use compressed air, and mechanical actuators use gears, levers, or other mechanisms to produce movement.

3. How do actuators work?

Actuators work by converting one form of energy into another. For example, electric actuators use electricity to produce motion by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. They typically consist of a motor, a gearbox, and a control system that communicates with a computer or controller to determine the desired movement.

4. What are the applications of actuators?

Actuators have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are commonly used in robotics, aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing industries to control and move different types of systems, such as valves, pumps, and turbines. They are also used in household appliances, such as washing machines and dishwashers.

5. How do I choose the right actuator for my project?

Choosing the right actuator for your project depends on several factors, including the type of movement required (linear or rotary), the speed and force needed, the environment it will operate in, and the type of control system you have. It is important to consider these factors and consult with an expert to determine the best actuator for your specific application.