Where Can I Check My Infraction Points on PF Forum?

• Thread starter Stephanus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about infraction points on PF Forum. The members discuss whether or not they can see their total infraction points and the consequences of accumulating too many points. The mentors advise members to read and follow the forum rules to avoid getting banned. Some members also joke about the "Guillotine Protocol" for serious rule-breakers.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Where can I see my infraction points?

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh oh ... Stephanus, have you been getting infraction points? Shame on you! I, of course, would NEVER get any :oldlaugh:

I think there's always a PM explaining any demerits you get so check your conversations.

phinds said:
Uh oh ... Stephanus, have you been getting infraction points? Shame on you! I, of course, would NEVER get any :oldlaugh:

I think there's always a PM explaining any demerits you get so check your conversations.
I don't know whether I get it or not. I get General Warning. And I see the rule/guidelines. There are infraction points and trophy points. I can see my trophy points, but I can't see my Infraction points. Where are they?

It's not possible for the user to check their warning points. It's a big flaw in the software that we hope will get patched. I will PM your total.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's not possible for the user to check their warning points. It's a big flaw in the software that we hope will get patched. I will PM your total.
Thanks Greg

Greg Bernhardt said:
You've got to get the minions more on the ball !

Likes Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:
You've got to get the minions more on the ball !
Yeah I already get it. Six months on parole

Greg Bernhardt said:
t's not possible for the user to check their warning points. It's a big flaw in the software that we hope will get patched.
On the other hand, if you stay on the right side of the guidelines you should not need to worry about it ... :wink:

Likes dlgoff, Vanadium 50 and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's not possible for the user to check their warning points. It's a big flaw in the software that we hope will get patched.

Well, please don't get the "ban button" fixed, I've been there before :eek:. I did myself get a general warning the other night that, admittedly, I feel I deserved. Sorry Greg. However, since PF switched to the new format about, what is it a year ago? PF has been a kindlier, friendlier forum, as in how the IRS became a kindlier, friendlier IRS I think it was in 2007? Before that, the IRS summarily executed you on site.

DiracPool said:
since PF switched to the new format about, what is it a year ago? PF has been a kindlier, friendlier forum,

Are you sure you are not confusing it with the time when I became a mentor, which was about the same? :biggrin:

DiracPool said:
Before that, the IRS summarily executed you on site.

Oh, we still do that to the really serious crackpots ... Well ... ban, not execute, it is the internet after all ...

Likes Stephanus and DiracPool
Orodruin said:
On the other hand, if you stay on the right side of the guidelines you should not need to worry about it ..

Exactly. One only needs to know their point total if they want to plan exactly how many more violations they can commit before being shown the door.

Vanadium 50 said:
Exactly. One only needs to know their point total if they want to plan exactly how many more violations they can commit before being shown the door.
Except, that depending on if violations are repeated or are very bad, you can go from no points to a complete ban. In other words, read the rules, follow the rules, if you aren't sure if what you plan to post breaks the rules, contact a mentor. Many times a member wasn't sure if what they wanted to post met the rules and together we worked out a solution, sometimes they just couldn't find an appropriate source and I found one for them.

The mentors want to help you, contact us if you aren't sure.

DiracPool said:
PF has been a kindlier, friendlier forum, as in how the IRS became a kindlier, friendlier IRS I think it was in 2007? Before that, the IRS summarily executed you on site.

Well, the "Guillotine Protocol" is scheduled to go into effect tomorrow. You have been warned. :biggrin:

Likes Stephanus
Drakkith said:
Well, the "Guillotine Protocol" is scheduled to go into effect tomorrow.

Lol. Thanks for the warning, I will be forging my iron neckbrace this evening.?:)

Vanadium 50 said:
Come on... It's not that.

Drakkith said:
Well, the "Guillotine Protocol" is scheduled to go into effect tomorrow. You have been warned. :biggrin:
Uh ... you wouldn't do that to a nice friendly dog, now would you, slobber, slobber?

Likes Drakkith
phinds said:
Uh ... you wouldn't do that to a nice friendly dog, now would you, slobber, slobber?
Is that a dog? All this time I thought it's a bear or at least a white monkey.
Now about this infraction point.
What if we get 8 out of 8?
We can't visit www.physicsforums.com?
We can visit but we can't sign in?
We can sign in but we can't see any forum?
We see any forum, but we can't reply or like?
We can't post a new thread?
Can we still search for a particular topic.?

Stephanus said:
Is that a dog? All this time I thought it's a bear or at least a white monkey.
Now about this infraction point.
What if we get 8 out of 8?
We can't visit www.physicsforums.com?
We can visit but we can't sign in?
We can sign in but we can't see any forum?
We see any forum, but we can't reply or like?
We can't post a new thread?
Can we still search for a particular topic.?

I think 10 out of 10 is the magic number, unless you get a temp ban earlier for collecting fewer points too quickly:

This video shows what happens when you get the hammer dropped on you:

Likes Stephanus
What?
Hmmm...
Well, at least he still got the broken sword.

Question 1:

What are Infraction Points on the PF Forum?

Infraction Points are a form of disciplinary action used on the PF Forum to address rule violations and inappropriate behavior. They are points given to users who have violated forum rules and are used to track their behavior and can result in temporary or permanent bans from the forum.

Question 2:

How do I get Infraction Points on the PF Forum?

Infraction Points are given by forum moderators when a user violates forum rules. This can include posting inappropriate content, spamming, or engaging in disruptive behavior. The number of points given depends on the severity of the violation and can range from 1 to 10 points.

Question 3:

How long do Infraction Points last on the PF Forum?

Infraction Points remain on a user's record for a period of 6 months. After this time, they will be automatically removed. However, if a user continues to receive Infraction Points, their record may be reviewed by forum administrators and the points may remain on their record for a longer period of time.

Question 4:

Can I appeal my Infraction Points on the PF Forum?

Yes, users have the option to appeal their Infraction Points by contacting forum moderators or administrators. The appeal will be reviewed and a decision will be made to either remove or keep the points on the user's record.

Question 5:

What happens if I accumulate too many Infraction Points on the PF Forum?

If a user accumulates a certain number of Infraction Points, they may be temporarily or permanently banned from the forum. The number of points required for a ban varies depending on the severity of the violations and the forum's rules. Users can also be banned immediately for severe violations or repeated offenses.