Archer's Aim: Finding the Speed of an Arrow

• Thread starter wadini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses an archer shooting an arrow horizontally at a target 17 meters away. The arrow is aimed at the center of the target but hits 51 centimeters lower. The participants then discuss how to find the initial speed of the arrow and the time interval involved in the arrow's descent. They also mention the importance of using correct units and provide a kinematic equation to solve the problem. The conversation ends with someone asking for a list of equations to refer to.
wadini
An archer shoots an arrow horizontally at a target 17 away. The arrow is aimed directly at the center of the target, but it hits 51 lower.

What was the initial speed of the arrow?

so I know I need to find time and then solve for the distance

so I entered in 17^2 + .51^2 and got 17.0076^2 and tried to solve for distance and time but that did not work...I really have no idea what I am doing. How do you work these types of problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
wadini said:
An archer shoots an arrow horizontally at a target 17 away. The arrow is aimed directly at the center of the target, but it hits 51 lower.

What was the initial speed of the arrow?

so I know I need to find time and then solve for the distance

so I entered in 17^2 + .51^2 and got 17.0076^2 and tried to solve for distance and time but that did not work...I really have no idea what I am doing. How do you work these types of problems?

What time interval is involved with it dropping 51 cm ?

Armed with the time and distance I'd guess you know how to do the rest.

Dude, you need units. 17 meters,feet? hits 51 lower inches cm?
I would say, why does the arrow hit 51(?) lower?
gravity?
How long does it take for gravity to move something 51(?)?
Then it would take the same time for the arrow to reach the tree, then for the arrow to fall 51(?).
Hope this helps. I needed help myself on another problem, and while waiting for a response, I have decided to try and help others.
Good luck!

Well, for one, remember your units! I'm assuming it was 17 meters away but hit 51 cm lower?

The one definite thing we know is that the arrow fell 0.51m in the distance it traveled because we KNOW what free fall is like by our kinematic equations. Remember, vertical travel and horizontal travel are independent. Since there is no initial velocity and the arrow is under a constant vertical acceleration, the kinematic equation is [tex]y = y_0 + v_{0y} t + \frac{{gt^2 }}{2}[/tex]. Let's assume that our origin is where the arrow starts at so that [tex] y_0 = 0[/tex]. Also we know there is no initial velocity in the vertical direction so taht [tex] v_{0y} = 0[/tex]. Using this, you can immediately calculate the time. Remember, the signs can get confusing so if you stick with g = -9.8m/s^2, the position will be a -0.51m.

Now you can determine the horizontal velocity (and in this case, since there is no angle, the initial speed) with [tex]x = x_0 + v_{0x} t[/tex]. Again, our arrow starts at the origin so [tex] x_0 = 0[/tex]. You can immediately solve for [tex] v_{0x} [/tex] now.

im sorry the 17 is meters and the 51 is cm

Thank you Pengwuino! That made perfect sense? Is there anyplace I can get a list of equations? I am working without a book so I keep having to find equations online. Thank you!

1. How is the speed of an arrow measured in "Archer's Aim"?

The speed of an arrow is measured using a high-speed camera that captures the movement of the arrow in frames per second. The distance the arrow travels in a specific number of frames is then used to calculate its speed.

2. Can the speed of an arrow be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of an arrow can be affected by external factors such as wind, humidity, and temperature. These factors can alter the trajectory and speed of the arrow, making it important to control for them during experiments.

3. What is the significance of finding the speed of an arrow?

The speed of an arrow is an important factor in determining its accuracy and effectiveness in hitting a target. It also helps in understanding the physics behind the flight of an arrow and can aid in improving archery techniques.

4. How does the weight of an arrow impact its speed?

The weight of an arrow can impact its speed as a heavier arrow requires more force to be propelled forward, resulting in a slower speed. However, a heavier arrow may also have better stability and accuracy.

5. Can "Archer's Aim" be used to measure the speed of other projectiles?

Yes, "Archer's Aim" can be used to measure the speed of other projectiles such as bullets or balls. However, the setup and calculations may vary depending on the specific projectile being tested.