Initial value problem with y(0)=C

In summary, the conversation is about solving a homework problem involving an initial-value problem and finding a particular solution. The individual used separation of variables and integrated to get a general initial-value equation. However, they are unsure of how to proceed and encounter issues when trying to solve for the constant of integration. They eventually solve for it by creating a new constant and using the initial condition.
coolhand
Hey everyone, I'm a long-time visitor, it's my first time posting though.

I have a homework problem that is causing me considerable consternation:

(y^3)*(dy/dx)=(8y^4+14)*cos(x); y(0)=C

Oh, and we're supposed to solve the initial-value problem, and then solve for the particular solution in the form (y^4)=...

I first used separation of variables and then integrated to get:
(y^4) = (1/4)*Ce^(32sin(x))-(7/4)

Now that I've solved for the general initial-value equation, I don't know where to go from here. The only way I could think to solve for C is to plug in 0 for x, and C for y--giving you:

(C^4)=(1/4)*C*(e^0)-(7/4)
C=((1/4)-(7/4))^(1/3)

As this is a non-real answer, I cannot figure out where I went wrong. Also, I was told that we would not need to use complex numbers for any of these homework problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
(y^3)*(dy/dx)=(8y^4+14)*cos(x)
(y^3)/(8y^4+14)dy=cos(x)dx
∫y3/(8y4+14)dy=∫cos(x)dx

through integrating (did it quickly so you might want to recheck)
(1/32)ln(8y4+14)+c=sin(x)+c
ln(8y4+14)=32sin(x)+c
8y4+14=e32sin(x)+c
solve from there

coolhand said:
Probably could have been clearer in my description.

AmritpalS, thanks for breaking it down for me though. My issue arose when I tried to plug in y(0)=C. I wound up creating a new constant (as C was part of the initial conditions) such that:

ln(8y^4 +14)=32sin(x) +D

then I solved for D, getting (8C^4 +14).

Finally I put it all together and got y^4= [(8*(C^4)+14)*e^(32sin(x))]/8

Thanks again for the help

substitute c for y as u did and o for x

c4=(e32sin(0))(ec)/8 +14/8
c4=ec/8+14/8
from there i plugged it into wolframalpha and it provided me c=-1.15, 1.2, 12.0285

Last edited:
coolhand said:
Hey everyone, I'm a long-time visitor, it's my first time posting though.

I have a homework problem that is causing me considerable consternation:

(y^3)*(dy/dx)=(8y^4+14)*cos(x); y(0)=C

Oh, and we're supposed to solve the initial-value problem, and then solve for the particular solution in the form (y^4)=...

I first used separation of variables and then integrated to get:
(y^4) = (1/4)*Ce^(32sin(x))-(7/4)

Now that I've solved for the general initial-value equation, I don't know where to go from here. The only way I could think to solve for C is to plug in 0 for x, and C for y--giving you:

(C^4)=(1/4)*C*(e^0)-(7/4)
C=((1/4)-(7/4))^(1/3)

As this is a non-real answer, I cannot figure out where I went wrong. Also, I was told that we would not need to use complex numbers for any of these homework problems.
Hello coolhand. Welcome to PF as a post-er !

The C in the following solution for y4 the constant of integration. There's no reason to think that this is the same as the C given as the initial value.

I would call it something else, like k, then using the initial condition, solve for k in terms of C.

(y4) = (1/4)*k*e^(32sin(x))-(7/4)

Probably could have been clearer in my description.

AmritpalS, thanks for breaking it down for me though. My issue arose when I tried to plug in y(0)=C. I wound up creating a new constant (as C was part of the initial conditions) such that:

ln(8y^4 +14)=32sin(x) +D

then I solved for D, getting (8C^4 +14).

Finally I put it all together and got y^4= [(8*(C^4)+14)*e^(32sin(x))]/8

Thanks again for the help

1. What is an initial value problem with y(0)=C?

An initial value problem with y(0)=C is a type of differential equation where the value of the dependent variable (y) and its derivative (dy/dx) are known at a given initial point (x=0). The constant value C represents the initial condition of the problem.

2. What is the significance of y(0)=C in an initial value problem?

In an initial value problem, y(0)=C represents the starting point or initial condition of the problem. It provides a specific value for the dependent variable at the given initial point (x=0), which helps to determine the general solution of the problem.

3. How is an initial value problem with y(0)=C solved?

An initial value problem with y(0)=C is solved by first finding the general solution of the differential equation, which is an equation that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable (x). Then, the initial condition y(0)=C is used to find the particular solution, which is a specific solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial condition.

4. What are the applications of initial value problems with y(0)=C?

Initial value problems with y(0)=C are commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model real-world phenomena. They can be used to predict the behavior of a system over time, calculate rates of change, and solve optimization problems.

5. Can an initial value problem with y(0)=C have multiple solutions?

Yes, an initial value problem with y(0)=C can have multiple solutions. This usually occurs when the general solution of the differential equation leads to a family of solutions that can satisfy the initial condition y(0)=C. In such cases, additional information or boundary conditions are needed to determine the unique solution.