Initial velocity of the golf ball

In summary: F_1}{F_2} = (\cos\theta-\sin\theta) \vec F = (F_1-F_2) The boat would travel at a speed of 7m/s when the current is 4m/s and the boat is facing north.
flamegrl
Hey guys
I am kinda new do this forum,
but if anyone can help me one this IT would be great
I have this homework problem I tryed many times but can't figure it out,

Tiger Woods can routinely hit a gofl ball 350-yards(320m) assuming he hits at an angle that gives him maxium distance solve the following:
1. initial velocity of the golf ball
2. what is the Maxium height of the golf ball
3. how long does it take to reach the maxium height
4. how ling does it take to travel the 350 yards

Physics news on Phys.org
flamegrl said:
Hey guys
I am kinda new do this forum,
but if anyone can help me one this IT would be great
I have this homework problem I tryed many times but can't figure it out,

Tiger Woods can routinely hit a gofl ball 350-yards(320m) assuming he hits at an angle that gives him maxium distance solve the following:
1. initial velocity of the golf ball
2. what is the Maxium height of the golf ball
3. how long does it take to reach the maxium height
4. how ling does it take to travel the 350 yards

Is that all the information given? Because that is an impossible problem unless you make an assumption that no matter the angle, the force exerted on the ball would be the same.

Hint: The maximum distance will be found when both components of the velocity are equal. Think if you hit the ball with force F, at angle 80 degrees, then the x component would be much smaller then the y. So the ball would not travel very far. While if you hit the ball with same force F at angle 30 degrees, with a much higher x component for its velocity, the ball would travel much farther. However the lowest angles will not produce the farthest distance, thanks to gravity.

Last edited:
Yes that was all the information give!

but I also am having trouble with this one as well
while fishing on a rather hot day you decide, beacuse of the fish aren't biting, to take a break and go to the 7-11 across the river flowing at 4m/s. the river is 500m wide
1. if the boat can travel at 7m/s how long does it take until you reach the other side of the river
2. in what direction relative to the shore must you steer your boat to go straight to the 7-11 the boat is facing north-eat

You have all the information needed to solve the golf ball problem. Hint: What angle gives the maximum range?

flamegrl said:
Yes that was all the information give!

but I also am having trouble with this one as well
while fishing on a rather hot day you decide, beacuse of the fish aren't biting, to take a break and go to the 7-11 across the river flowing at 4m/s. the river is 500m wide
1. if the boat can travel at 7m/s how long does it take until you reach the other side of the river
2. in what direction relative to the shore must you steer your boat to go straight to the 7-11 the boat is facing north-eat

Vectors! Just use vectors for the individuals forces, and make a diagram of them.

[tex]sin\theta = \frac{Current}{Speed of Boat}[/tex]

What is the initial velocity of a golf ball?

The initial velocity of a golf ball is the speed at which the ball is traveling when it is first hit by a club. This speed is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or meters per second (m/s).

How is the initial velocity of a golf ball measured?

The initial velocity of a golf ball can be measured using a launch monitor, which uses radar or camera technology to track the speed of the ball as it leaves the clubface. It can also be estimated using the distance the ball travels and the time it takes to reach that distance.

What factors affect the initial velocity of a golf ball?

The initial velocity of a golf ball is influenced by several factors, including the club used, the angle of the clubface at impact, the swing speed of the golfer, and the type and condition of the golf ball.

Why is the initial velocity of a golf ball important?

The initial velocity of a golf ball is important because it determines how far the ball will travel and how quickly it will reach its target. It also affects the trajectory and spin of the ball, which can impact its accuracy and control.

Can the initial velocity of a golf ball be increased?

Yes, the initial velocity of a golf ball can be increased by using a club with a higher loft, improving swing speed and technique, and using a high-performance golf ball designed for maximum distance and speed.