Find Initial Velocity of Cannonball Fired from Cannon

In summary, the problem involves finding the initial velocity of a cannonball fired straight up into the air, with a maximum height of 600m, using the equations for potential and kinetic energy. The mass of the cannonball is not necessary to solve for the initial velocity, as demonstrated by Galileo's experiment dropping balls from the Tower of Pisa. The potential energy and kinetic energy are equal at the maximum height of 600m, allowing for the solution of the initial velocity.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

A cannon shoots straight up into the air a cannonball which reaches a maximum height of 600m. What was the initial velocity of the cannonball when it was fired from the cannon. (Note: this problem contains all the information necessary to be solved.)

use g=10m/s^2

Homework Equations

P.E= mgh
K.E= (1/2)(k)(x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

P.E=m(10m/s^2)(600m)

I have no clue as to how you would solve for the initial velocity without the mass of the cannon ball. Obviously, the initial velocity depends on the mass of the ball because a cannonball with more mass will need to be traveling at a higher velocity to reach 600m. Do I need to calculate the mass some how? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
themadhatter1 said:
Obviously, the initial velocity depends on the mass of the ball because a cannonball with more mass will need to be traveling at a higher velocity to reach 600m.

Are you sure about that?

Also your equation for kinetic energy is for the potential energy of a spring with spring constant k displaced x from equilibrium, I don't think that's the equation you wanted :smile:.

Phyisab**** said:
Also your equation for kinetic energy is for the potential energy of a spring with spring constant k displaced x from equilibrium, I don't think that's the equation you wanted :smile:.

Yeah, your right.

I meant to put K.E.= (1/2)(m)(v^2)

I still don't understand what I'm suppose to do. Both equations require mass to solve for the potential or kinetic energy. Does mass matter in this problem because I don't think I can solve for the mass of the cannonball?

Last edited:
Nope mass does not matter, remember the story of galileo dropping ball from the tower of pisa? The equation you just wrote is for the kinetic energy not potential energy. See what happens when you put them together.

I'm sorry but I don't know how you would combine these equations. I have tried to combine them but I come up with an answer that you wouldn't be able to solve for the v^2 and dosent seam logical.

K.E=(1/2)(m)(v^2)
P.E.= mgh

P.E/(G)(H)=m

K.E=(1/2)[P.E/(G)(H)](v^2)
K.E=(1/2)[P.E/(10)(600)](v^2)
K.E=(1/2)[P.E/6000](v^2)
K.E/(1/2)[P.E/6000]=v^2

Somehow I don't think the square root of the left side is the answer. What am I doing wrong?

What is the relationship between the kinetic energy immediately after launch and the potential energy at 600m?

they're equal

Exactly just write that and you're almost done.

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a cannonball fired from a cannon?

The initial velocity of a cannonball fired from a cannon can be calculated using the formula: V = √(g * d / sin2θ), where V is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), d is the distance traveled, and θ is the angle of elevation of the cannon.

2. What factors affect the initial velocity of a cannonball fired from a cannon?

The initial velocity of a cannonball can be affected by several factors, including the angle of elevation, the mass and size of the cannonball, the type of propellant used, and any external forces like wind or air resistance.

3. How does the angle of elevation affect the initial velocity of a cannonball?

The angle of elevation plays a significant role in determining the initial velocity of a cannonball. The higher the angle of elevation, the greater the initial velocity will be. However, if the angle is too high, the cannonball may not travel as far due to air resistance and gravity.

4. Can the initial velocity of a cannonball be calculated without using a formula?

No, the initial velocity of a cannonball cannot be accurately calculated without using a formula. The formula takes into account important factors like the mass of the cannonball and the angle of elevation, which cannot be determined without proper measurements.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the initial velocity of a cannonball fired from a cannon?

Yes, it is essential to follow safety precautions when calculating the initial velocity of a cannonball. This includes wearing protective gear, ensuring the cannon is stable and secure, and using proper measurements and calculations to prevent accidents or injuries.