Understanding Inner Product on C[a,b] vs C(R)

In summary, the homework statement fails on b) because there exists a function f such that its integral from a to b is zero, but f is not zero everywhere.
Redukt
My apologies in advance for asking what (to me) looks like an extremely stupid question, but I just can't figure it out.

1. Homework Statement :
Where is this an inner product:
[tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)g(x) dx[/tex]

a) on C[a,b]?
b) on C(R)?

The answer is that it is an inner product on a), but not on b) - apparently on b) the axiom of positivity fails. I do not understand how this is possible, since all functions that are C(R) are also C[a,b] - or have I just always misunderstood this notation? Does not C(R) mean "functions continuous on all of R"?

Homework Equations

This is what the answer key says: It fails on b) because [tex]\exists f \ne 0 : \Vert f \Vert^2 = 0[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

has mainly consisted of trying (unsuccessfully) to work backwards towards a counterexample. I don't know how to do this in any other, more general way, since the whole idea seems illogical to me. Please enlighten me, somebody?

Physics news on Phys.org
The inner product of the function [tex] f(x) = \sqrt{x} [/tex] is zero and this f is not the zero function.

Any continuous function that is 0 on [a,b], but not anywhere else. sqrt(x) doesn't work for arbitrary a,b, but a simple piecewise function that looks similar to the absolute value function would.

Vid said:
Any continuous function that is 0 on [a,b], but not anywhere else. sqrt(x) doesn't work for arbitrary a,b, but a simple piecewise function that looks similar to the absolute value function would.

What are you talking about? The inproduct of sqrt(x) delivers x if you integrate this from -inf to +inf you'll get zero, right?

It's not from -inf to inf. It's from a to b. The reason the integral from a to b isn't an inner product on C(R) is because there is an f in C(R) such that it's integral from a to b is zero, but f is not zero everywhere.

Vid said:
It's not from -inf to inf. It's from a to b. The reason the integral from a to b isn't an inner product on C(R) is because there is an f in C(R) such that it's integral from a to b is zero, but f is not zero everywhere.

Yes you're right I didn't read well enough. The integral has bounds form a to b.

Vid said:

I think this is occasion for a big *headdesk* (on my own behalf, obviously). How did I not see this? Thanks a lot. :)

1. What is the inner product on C(R)?

The inner product on C(R), also known as the complex inner product, is a mathematical operation that takes two complex numbers as inputs and produces a complex number as an output. It is defined as the sum of the products of the corresponding components of the two complex numbers, where the first number is conjugated.

2. How is the inner product on C(R) calculated?

The inner product on C(R) is calculated by first multiplying the real parts of the two complex numbers and then adding the product of the imaginary parts. The resulting number is the real part of the inner product. The imaginary part is calculated by multiplying the real part of the first number with the imaginary part of the second number and adding it to the product of the imaginary part of the first number and the real part of the second number, with a negative sign.

3. What are the properties of the inner product on C(R)?

The inner product on C(R) has several important properties, including linearity, conjugate symmetry, and positive definiteness. Linearity means that the inner product of a linear combination of two complex numbers is equal to the same linear combination of their inner products. Conjugate symmetry means that the inner product of two complex numbers is equal to the conjugate of the inner product of the second number with the first number. Positive definiteness means that the inner product of a complex number with itself is always positive, except for the case of the zero vector.

4. What is the role of the inner product on C(R) in complex analysis?

The inner product on C(R) plays a crucial role in complex analysis, as it allows for the definition of important concepts such as orthogonality, projection, and distance in the complex plane. It also enables the calculation of norms and angles between complex numbers, which are essential in understanding the behavior of complex functions.

5. How is the inner product on C(R) used in practical applications?

The inner product on C(R) has various practical applications, including signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. In signal and image processing, the inner product is used to measure the similarity between two signals or images. In quantum mechanics, the inner product is used to calculate probabilities and determine the state of a quantum system. Additionally, the inner product is used in optimization problems to find the closest point to a given set of points in a complex vector space.