1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner product on C(R)

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    My apologies in advance for asking what (to me) looks like an extremely stupid question, but I just can't figure it out.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    Where is this an inner product:
    [tex]\int_{a}^{b}f(x)g(x) dx[/tex]

a) on C[a,b]?
    b) on C(R)?

The answer is that it is an inner product on a), but not on b) - apparently on b) the axiom of positivity fails. I do not understand how this is possible, since all functions that are C(R) are also C[a,b] - or have I just always misunderstood this notation? Does not C(R) mean "functions continuous on all of R"?

2. Relevant equations

This is what the answer key says: It fails on b) because [tex]\exists f \ne 0 : \Vert f \Vert^2 = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution:

has mainly consisted of trying (unsuccessfully) to work backwards towards a counterexample. I don't know how to do this in any other, more general way, since the whole idea seems illogical to me. Please enlighten me, somebody?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2
    The inner product of the function [tex] f(x) = \sqrt{x} [/tex] is zero and this f is not the zero function.
  4. Dec 18, 2008 #3

Any continuous function that is 0 on [a,b], but not anywhere else. sqrt(x) doesn't work for arbitrary a,b, but a simple piecewise function that looks similar to the absolute value function would.
  5. Dec 18, 2008 #4
    What are you talking about? The inproduct of sqrt(x) delivers x if you integrate this from -inf to +inf you'll get zero, right?
  6. Dec 18, 2008 #5

It's not from -inf to inf. It's from a to b. The reason the integral from a to b isn't an inner product on C(R) is because there is an f in C(R) such that it's integral from a to b is zero, but f is not zero everywhere.
  7. Dec 18, 2008 #6
    Yes you're right I didn't read well enough. The integral has bounds form a to b.
  8. Dec 19, 2008 #7
    I think this is occasion for a big *headdesk* (on my own behalf, obviously). How did I not see this? Thanks a lot. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?