Inner product vs. dot product

In summary, the dot product is a specific inner product, whereas "inner product" is the more general term.
dimensionless
Is there any difference between an inner product and a dot product?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes:
The dot product is an inner product, whereas "inner product" is the more general term.

EDIT:
I'm getting old. But then again, how could I ever compete with young, strong dragons swooping down on its prey? :frown:

What would be an example of an inner product that it not a dot product?

Well, as I'm used to it the term "dot product" is usually reserved for an operation on a finite Euclidean space; I haven't seen the term "dot product" being used for inner products defined on function spaces, for example.

dimensionless said:
Just expanding on what arildno said, one specific example is the Frobenius inner product of two matrices. It is defined by:
<A,B>=tr(B*A)
Where B* is the conjugate transpose, or adjoint of B.

dimensionless said:
For continuous functions from [a,b] to R, you can define an inner product <.,.> as:

[tex]\left\langle {f,g} \right\rangle = \int\limits_a^b {f\left( x \right)g\left( x \right)dx} [/tex]

This is also an example on that Mathworld page.

(a, b) . (c, d) = ac + 2bd
(a, b) . (c, d) = (a+b)(c+d) + (a-b)(c-d)

(a) . (b) = 2ab

Hurkyl said:

(a) . (b) = 2ab

Are these postulates?

No, you can show that they satisfy the PROPERTIES of the inner product:
To take the first:
1. (a,b).(a,b)=a^2+2b^2>0 unless a=b=0
2. (a,b).(c,d)=ac+2bd=ca+2db=(c,d).(a,b)
and so on with the rest of an inner product's properties.

I wish someone had explained that difference to me 30+ years ago, when I was first learning about vectors and multidimensional analysis. I got to university thinking that 'dot' and 'inner' product were the same, and it was terribly confusing when an inner product was introduced with a different meaning than a dot product.

The way I sort of organized the concepts to myself was like this:
General terms:
Inner/Outer products
Special terms:
Dot/cross products
Scalar/vector products

This was at least helpful for me.

arildno said:
General terms:
Inner/Outer products

There's an outer product now?

Yup. It's commonly called the tensor or direct product.

Are these postulates?
No -- they are definitions of three different inner products. The first two are on R², and the third is on R.

The theoretical "meat" of the Gram-Schmidt orthogonaliztion process is that any inner product is a dot product in some basis. Given an inner product, choose a basis and use Gram-Schmidt to derive an orthonormal basis {e1, e2,...,en}. For any vectors u,v, write u= a1e1+ ... , v= b1e1+... . Then the inner product <u,v>= a1b1+... + anbn.

Take a look at Hurkyl's examples:

(a) . (b) = 2ab
Starting from the basis {(1, 0), (0,1)}, (or just (1) for the third example) use Gram-Schmidt with each of these inner products to derive an orthonormal basis and show that the inner product is the dot product in that basis.

1. What is the difference between an inner product and a dot product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is defined as the sum of the products of the corresponding elements of the two vectors. A dot product, on the other hand, is a specific type of inner product that is only defined for vectors in Euclidean space (where the length and angle between vectors are well-defined). It is calculated by taking the sum of the products of the corresponding elements of the two vectors, but also taking into account the angle between them.

2. Can the terms "inner product" and "dot product" be used interchangeably?

No, they cannot. While a dot product is a type of inner product, not all inner products are dot products. Inner products can be defined for other types of vector spaces, such as complex vector spaces, while dot products are specific to Euclidean spaces.

3. What are some real-world applications of inner products and dot products?

Inner products and dot products have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, they are used in signal processing, computer graphics, and machine learning algorithms. They are also used in physics to calculate work and power, and in quantum mechanics to calculate probabilities and expectation values.

4. Are inner products and dot products commutative?

No, they are not. The commutative property states that the order of operands does not affect the result of an operation. However, the order of vectors does affect the result of an inner product or dot product, as the angle between vectors is taken into account.

5. How do inner products and dot products relate to orthogonality?

In both inner products and dot products, two vectors are considered orthogonal if their product is equal to zero. However, in inner products, orthogonality is a result of the definition of the operation, while in dot products, orthogonality is a property of Euclidean space.