Instantaneous velocity and average velocity

In summary, the rabbit's instantaneous speed is 1.39 miles per hour at the time at which the slope of its tangent line is at a value of 25/18.
Struggling
hi all having a problem with this question:

The position of a rabbit along a straight tunnel as a function of time is plotted: http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/5764/untitled0vz.png
1. What is its instantaneous velocity at t = 10.0s and t=30.0s
2. what is the average velocity:
between t = 0 and t = 5.0s
between t = 25.0s and t = 30.0s
between t = 40.0s and t = 50.0s

i can do it when they give an equation. and i know it has to all do with tangents and all that, i can get the results by "estimating", but not as accurate. I am totally stuck with this one any help at all will be appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instantaneous means the derivative at that point in time; average is the slope formed between the points.

Knavish said:
Instantaneous means the derivative at that point in time; average is the slope formed between the points.

yeh i know that but how do you get the equation? i understand taking 2 points eg. (x1,y1)(x2,y2) but i can't find a reliable way of finding them

Struggling said:
yeh i know that but how do you get the equation? i understand taking 2 points eg. (x1,y1)(x2,y2) but i can't find a reliable way of finding them
this problem is to determine instant velocity GRAPHICALLY.
you don't need any "equations" in the usual sense.
instant velocity is the SLOPE of the tangent line at a point along the curve.
just determine the slope of the tangent line using (Δx/Δt) by choosing 2 points along the tangent line (1 point can be that at which the tangent line is tangent to the curve) and calculate (Δx/Δt)=(x2 - x1)/(t2 - t1). see this diagram:
http://www.andamooka.org/newtphys/figs/bk1/ch02/motiond.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the tangent lines are already drawn on the graph at t= 10 and 30. For the tangent line at t= 30, it appears to me that the line crosses y= 0 around x= 18 and crosses y= 25 around x= 36. The slope of the tangent line is 25/(36-18)= 25/18 or about 1.39 and that is the instantaneous speed at t= 30. That's about the best you can do given that information.

HallsofIvy said:
Apparently the tangent lines are already drawn on the graph at t= 10 and 30. For the tangent line at t= 30, it appears to me that the line crosses y= 0 around x= 18 and crosses y= 25 around x= 36. The slope of the tangent line is 25/(36-18)= 25/18 or about 1.39 and that is the instantaneous speed at t= 30. That's about the best you can do given that information.

you serious? that's what i did exactley but they have answers to 2 decimal places and i kept getting 0.01-0.10 off the answer and i was stressing sooo much i was 90% certain that there must have been a formula.

1. What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken. In other words, instantaneous velocity gives information about an object's speed and direction at a particular instant, while average velocity gives information about the overall motion of an object over a period of time.

2. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line to the position-time graph of an object at a specific point. This can also be approximated by calculating the average velocity over a very small time interval.

3. What are some real-life examples of instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity can be seen in a car's speedometer, where the needle shows the vehicle's speed at any given moment. Average velocity can be seen in a road trip, where the total distance traveled is divided by the total time taken to determine the average speed of the trip.

4. Is instantaneous velocity always equal to average velocity?

No, instantaneous velocity and average velocity are usually not equal, unless the object is moving at a constant speed. In most cases, instantaneous velocity will be constantly changing, while average velocity will give a better representation of the overall motion of the object.

5. How does acceleration affect instantaneous and average velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so it can affect both instantaneous and average velocity. If an object is accelerating, its instantaneous velocity will be constantly changing, while its average velocity will be the total change in velocity over a period of time. In cases of uniform acceleration, where the object is moving at a constant rate, the instantaneous and average velocities will be equal.