Evaluating a Surface Integral: xze^y i -xze^y j +z k

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the surface integral for a given function and surface. The solution involves using the given equations and attempting to simplify the integral. The solution may require substitution and can be a difficult integral to solve. Additional help and feedback is requested.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Evalute the surface integral

Homework Equations

F(x,y,z)=xze^y i -xze^y j +z k for the surface is partof the plane x+y+2z=2 in the first octant and orientated downwards

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \displaystyle \int \int_{\sigma} F dS=\int \int_R (xze^y i -xze^y j +z k)(z_x i+ z_y j -k) dA=\int \int_R (x^2z^2e^y-xyz^2e^y-z) dA[/itex]

Is this correct so far...if so have I to substitute for z and put in above integral. Looks like a difficult integral...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like

[itex]\displaystyle \int \int_{\sigma} F dS=\int \int_R (xze^y i -xze^y j +z k)(z_x i+ z_y j -k) dA=\int \int_R (x^2z^2e^y-xyz^2e^y-z) dA \implies[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \int \int_{\sigma} F dS=\int \int_R (x^2(\frac{2-x-y}{2})^2 e^y-xy(\frac{2-x-y}{2})^2 e^y-(\frac{2-x-y}{2})) dA [/itex].?

Posted at this link also. Will notify both forums of any responses. Thanks
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/73614-surface-integral

Last edited:

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area of a three-dimensional surface. It involves taking the integral of a function over a specified surface.

2. What is the function being integrated in this surface integral?

The function being integrated in this surface integral is xze^y i -xze^y j +z k.

3. How do you evaluate a surface integral?

To evaluate a surface integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which are the boundaries of the surface. Then, you need to determine the orientation of the surface and use the appropriate formula to calculate the integral. In this case, the formula is ∫∫S F(x,y,z) dS = ∫∫D F(x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v)) ||r_u x r_v|| dudv, where F(x,y,z) is the function being integrated, S is the surface, D is the projection of the surface onto the xy-plane, and r_u and r_v are the partial derivatives of the parameterization of the surface.

4. What is the purpose of evaluating a surface integral?

The purpose of evaluating a surface integral is to calculate the area of a three-dimensional surface and to solve various physical problems, such as calculating the flux of a vector field across a surface.

5. Are there any real-world applications of surface integrals?

Yes, surface integrals have numerous real-world applications, including calculating the flow of fluid through a pipe, determining the amount of heat transfer across a surface, and calculating the surface area of a three-dimensional object.