1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral - Algebraic Manipulation?

1. May 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int \frac{x}{x+d}dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried parts and that turned out horribly so I fired up maple. First move it makes is 'Rewrite Rule'. I've never heard of a rewrite rule but I supposed it could be some algebraic massaging. I ended up looking at it this way:

[tex]\frac{x}{x+d} = 1-1+\frac{x}{x+d} = \frac{x+d}{x+d}-\frac{x+d}{x+d}+\frac{x}{x+d} = \frac{x+d}{x+d}+\frac{x-d-x}{x+d} = 1-\frac{d}{x+d}[/tex]

Which then is easily integrable. My question is, is there a snappier way to think of this/do it?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Just divide x by x+d and you'll get the term on the rightmost of your equalities.
  4. May 21, 2008 #3
    As in polynomial long division?

edit: Or is there some way that is easy to see what will happen? Basically it isn't straight up intuitive for me to realize that x/x+d is 1-d/x+d, I'm trying to find a quick method to deal with it.
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  5. May 21, 2008 #4

Break it and integrate.
  6. May 21, 2008 #5
    That's much shorter than what I did, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?