1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral help needed for Quantum Physics problem

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

integral from - infinity to + infinity of
    N/(k2+a2) * eikx dk

2. Relevant equations

this is for a quantum physics problem (chapter 2 problem 1, gasiorowicz) where I am given A(k) = N/(k2+a2) and must calculate psi(x)

I am using the equation
    psi(x,t) = integral from - infinity to + infinity A(k) ei(kx-wt) dk

which when t=0 goes to

psi(x,t) = integral from - infinity to + infinity A(k) eikx dk

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried integrating by parts, substitution and on my TI-89 however I am a little rusty with all these methods

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to do these sort of integrals in the complex k plane using contour integration. Review the residue theorem and some examples of how to use it and then take another look at the problem.

4. Sep 11, 2008 #3
    Thank you so much! would the residue then be e-ax/2ai ?

5. Sep 11, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Something like that, yes. If you want more detailed help you should tell us how you got it. What did you get for the integral?

6. Sep 11, 2008 #5
    well, as I am not well-versed in complex analysis I looked up residue theorem and found an example on wikipedia which I modified to fit my situation. The work is as follows

-∞dk (1/(k+ai)-1/(k-ai)) e^ikx

Which has a singularity at ai=k

so Res k=ai = (e^ikx)/2ai

so I multiply by 2*pi*I to get (pi*e^-ax)/a

and then put an absolute value on the "ax" which comes from integrating along the bottom of the arc of the line integral

Does this make sense? is there somewhere I can start to understand exactly how line integrals and residue theorem works?

7. Sep 12, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've left out a lot of the details, and in the first line the integrand should be exp(ikx)/((k+ia)(k-ia)) but yes that's it. I don't have any favorite references, but you can probably find a lot more examples on the web or in books on the subject of applied mathematics.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?