• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Integral help

• Thread starter zedmed
  • Start date
[tex]\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}dxdydz[/tex]

I tried converting this to spherical and only integrating over a quarter of the octant but with no luck.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Do you know what
[tex]\int_0^{1.5} \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2}[/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is a constant is? If so, just integrate over x first holding y and z constant (i.e.[itex]a^2=y^2+z^2[/itex]) Then integrate over y, holding z constant. Lastly, integrate over z. Assuming that z,x,y have no functional relationship, and you limits of integration are correct, this is perfectly valid.

Yes, but then I get to

[tex]\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\frac{ArcTan(\frac{1.5}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}})}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}dydz[/tex]

and get stuck.

Last edited:

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hmmm... yes, Mathematica doesn't even want to do this integration. Is this really the original question?

no, it was to find the time averaged power inside a box produced by light bulb in the center.
This is a by product of assuming spherical wave propagation from the center of the box.

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
The cube is of side 1.5 or 3?

It's a cube with side length 3, I was just considering one octant.

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
I see; and the power is proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]. The only thing I can think of that might help is to use the fact that

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \left( \frac{\hat{r}}{r} \right)=\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

to turn the volume integral into a surface integral via the divergence theorem. Then compute the flux of [itex]\vec{v} \equiv \frac{\hat{r}}{r} [/itex] Through each face of the cube.

Last edited:
Interesting...that's sounds like something worth pursuing, thanks for the help!

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
Gold Member
In fact, due to symmetry the flux through each face will be the same, so you only have to compute it for one face and then multiply by 6.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving