Integral help

• Thread starter zedmed
  • Start date
[tex]\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}dxdydz[/tex]

I tried converting this to spherical and only integrating over a quarter of the octant but with no luck.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Do you know what
[tex]\int_0^{1.5} \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2}[/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is a constant is? If so, just integrate over x first holding y and z constant (i.e.[itex]a^2=y^2+z^2[/itex]) Then integrate over y, holding z constant. Lastly, integrate over z. Assuming that z,x,y have no functional relationship, and you limits of integration are correct, this is perfectly valid.

Yes, but then I get to

[tex]\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\frac{ArcTan(\frac{1.5}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}})}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}dydz[/tex]

and get stuck.

Last edited:
gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hmmm... yes, Mathematica doesn't even want to do this integration. Is this really the original question?

no, it was to find the time averaged power inside a box produced by light bulb in the center.
This is a by product of assuming spherical wave propagation from the center of the box.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The cube is of side 1.5 or 3?

It's a cube with side length 3, I was just considering one octant.

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I see; and the power is proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]. The only thing I can think of that might help is to use the fact that

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \left( \frac{\hat{r}}{r} \right)=\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

to turn the volume integral into a surface integral via the divergence theorem. Then compute the flux of [itex]\vec{v} \equiv \frac{\hat{r}}{r} [/itex] Through each face of the cube.

Last edited:
Interesting...that's sounds like something worth pursuing, thanks for the help!

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In fact, due to symmetry the flux through each face will be the same, so you only have to compute it for one face and then multiply by 6.