1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral help

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    [tex]\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}dxdydz[/tex]

I tried converting this to spherical and only integrating over a quarter of the octant but with no luck.

Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know what
    [tex]\int_0^{1.5} \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2}[/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is a constant is? If so, just integrate over x first holding y and z constant (i.e.[itex]a^2=y^2+z^2[/itex]) Then integrate over y, holding z constant. Lastly, integrate over z. Assuming that z,x,y have no functional relationship, and you limits of integration are correct, this is perfectly valid.

4. Oct 4, 2008 #3
    Yes, but then I get to

[tex]\int^{1.5}_{0}\int^{1.5}_{0}\frac{ArcTan(\frac{1.5}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}})}{\sqrt{y^2+z^2}}dydz[/tex]

and get stuck.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  5. Oct 4, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmmm... yes, Mathematica doesn't even want to do this integration. Is this really the original question?

6. Oct 4, 2008 #5
    no, it was to find the time averaged power inside a box produced by light bulb in the center.
    This is a by product of assuming spherical wave propagation from the center of the box.

7. Oct 4, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The cube is of side 1.5 or 3?

8. Oct 4, 2008 #7
    It's a cube with side length 3, I was just considering one octant.

9. Oct 4, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see; and the power is proportional to [itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]. The only thing I can think of that might help is to use the fact that

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \left( \frac{\hat{r}}{r} \right)=\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex]

to turn the volume integral into a surface integral via the divergence theorem. Then compute the flux of [itex]\vec{v} \equiv \frac{\hat{r}}{r} [/itex] Through each face of the cube.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  10. Oct 4, 2008 #9
    Interesting...that's sounds like something worth pursuing, thanks for the help!

11. Oct 4, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In fact, due to symmetry the flux through each face will be the same, so you only have to compute it for one face and then multiply by 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?