Integral Homework Help: Solving ∫ dy/√(y²+C) Using ln and sinh^-1 Methods

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve the integral \int \frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2 + C}} and whether the solution is ln |y + \sqrt{y^2 + C^2} | or sinh^-^1 (\frac{y}{c}). The conclusion is that both expressions are correct, with the second one being equivalent to the first up to a constant.
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve [tex] \int \frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2 + C}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it [tex] ln |y + \sqrt{y^2 + C^2} | [/tex]

Or is it [tex] sinh^-^1 [/tex] something.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

It might be both, your first expression looks rather like sinh^(-1) to me as well. Why don't you try doing it? Put y=C*sinh(u) (assuming you mean y^2+C^2 in the integrand).

It turns out that its [tex] sinh^-^1 (\frac{y}{c}) [/tex]

Because my original differential equation was [tex] \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} - y = 0 [/tex]

Thanks!

arcsinh(y/C)=ln(y/C+sqrt(y^2/C^2+1)). That's the same as ln(y+sqrt(y^2+C^2)) up to a constant. They are both right.

1. What is integral homework help?

Integral homework help is a type of academic assistance that focuses on teaching students how to solve complex mathematical problems involving integrals. It typically involves step-by-step guidance and explanations to help students understand the concepts and techniques involved in solving integrals.

2. How can integral homework help improve my grades?

Integral homework help can improve your grades by providing you with a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving integrals. This can help you approach your homework and exams with more confidence and accuracy, resulting in better grades.

3. Are there any prerequisites for using integral homework help?

While it is helpful to have a basic understanding of calculus and algebra, there are no strict prerequisites for using integral homework help. The tutors providing the assistance will guide you through the necessary concepts and techniques, making it accessible for students of all levels.

4. Can I get personalized help for my specific problem?

Yes, integral homework help often involves one-on-one tutoring sessions where you can get personalized help for your specific problem. The tutors will work with you to understand your specific challenges and guide you through step-by-step solutions to help you improve your understanding and skills.

5. How can I access integral homework help?

Integral homework help is available through various online platforms, such as tutoring websites and educational apps. You can also seek help from your school or university's math department or reach out to private tutors for assistance. Some platforms offer free resources, while others may require a subscription or payment for their services.