1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral involving trigonometric functions.

1. Jan 20, 2012 #1
    I found this question on a website.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-\cos(nx)}{1-\cos(x)} dx=n\pi \ \ , n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Here's my attempt using induction:

Let [itex]P(n) [/itex] be the statement given by

[tex] \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-\cos(nx)}{1-\cos(x)} dx=n\pi \ \ , n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

P(1):

[tex] \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-\cos(x)}{1-\cos(x)} dx=\int_{0}^{\pi}dx=\pi[/tex]
    [tex](1)\pi=\pi[/tex]

P(1) holds true.

Let [itex]P(n)[/itex] be true.
    Now, we need to show that [itex]P(n+1)[/itex] is true.

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{1-\cos{x(n+1)}}{1-\cos(x)}dx=\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-[\cos(nx)\cos(x)-\sin(nx)\sin(x)]}{1-\cos(x)} dx[/tex]

I don't know how to proceed from here.
    Furthermore, I would like to know if I could prove the statement by solving the integral.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2
    Let [itex]P(n)=\int\frac{1-\cos{nx}}{1-\cos{x}}dx[/itex]

[itex]P(n+1)-P(n)=\int\frac{\cos{(n+1)x}-\cos{nx}}{1- \cos{x}}dx=\int\frac{2\sin{(n+\frac{1}{2})x} \sin{\frac{x}{2}}}{2\sin^{2}{\frac{x}{2}}}dx=\int \frac{\sin{(n+\frac{1}{2})x} }{\sin{\frac{x}{2}}}dx[/itex]
    (thr limits of integral are 0 and pi)
    The last Integral is the kernel of Dirighle and equal to [itex]\pi[/itex].
    So [itex]P(n+1)-P(n)=\pi[/itex] .
    Finally we obtain [itex]P(n)=n\pi[/itex].

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook