Integral involving trigonometric functions.

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the statement \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-\cos(nx)}{1-\cos(x)} dx=n\pi \ \ , n \in \mathbb{N} using induction and the kernel of Dirichlet. It also mentions the question of whether the statement can be proven by solving the integral.
Blandongstein
I found this question on a website.

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-\cos(nx)}{1-\cos(x)} dx=n\pi \ \ , n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Here's my attempt using induction:

Let [itex]P(n) [/itex] be the statement given by

[tex] \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-\cos(nx)}{1-\cos(x)} dx=n\pi \ \ , n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

P(1):

[tex] \int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-\cos(x)}{1-\cos(x)} dx=\int_{0}^{\pi}dx=\pi[/tex]
[tex](1)\pi=\pi[/tex]

P(1) holds true.

Let [itex]P(n)[/itex] be true.
Now, we need to show that [itex]P(n+1)[/itex] is true.

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{1-\cos{x(n+1)}}{1-\cos(x)}dx=\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{1-[\cos(nx)\cos(x)-\sin(nx)\sin(x)]}{1-\cos(x)} dx[/tex]

I don't know how to proceed from here.
Furthermore, I would like to know if I could prove the statement by solving the integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]P(n)=\int\frac{1-\cos{nx}}{1-\cos{x}}dx[/itex]

[itex]P(n+1)-P(n)=\int\frac{\cos{(n+1)x}-\cos{nx}}{1- \cos{x}}dx=\int\frac{2\sin{(n+\frac{1}{2})x} \sin{\frac{x}{2}}}{2\sin^{2}{\frac{x}{2}}}dx=\int \frac{\sin{(n+\frac{1}{2})x} }{\sin{\frac{x}{2}}}dx[/itex]
(thr limits of integral are 0 and pi)
The last Integral is the kernel of Dirighle and equal to [itex]\pi[/itex].
So [itex]P(n+1)-P(n)=\pi[/itex] .
Finally we obtain [itex]P(n)=n\pi[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is the basic formula for an integral involving trigonometric functions?

The basic formula for an integral involving trigonometric functions is: ∫ sin(x) dx = -cos(x) + C.

2. How do you evaluate an integral involving trigonometric functions?

To evaluate an integral involving trigonometric functions, you can use the trigonometric identities and substitution techniques. First, simplify the integrand using trigonometric identities. Then, substitute a variable for the trigonometric function and solve for the integral using basic integration techniques.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in evaluating integrals?

Some common trigonometric identities used in evaluating integrals are: sin²(x) + cos²(x) = 1, sin(x)/cos(x) = tan(x), and cos(x)/sin(x) = cot(x).

4. Can you give an example of an integral involving trigonometric functions?

One example of an integral involving trigonometric functions is: ∫ 2sin(x)cos(x) dx. Using the identity sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x), we can rewrite the integral as: ∫ sin(2x) dx = -1/2 cos(2x) + C.

5. How are integrals involving trigonometric functions used in real-world applications?

Integrals involving trigonometric functions are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to oscillations, waves, and periodic motion. They are also used in calculating areas and volumes of curved shapes in geometry and in analyzing periodic data in statistics.