What Does the Integral Expression $\int_{\gamma} \rho(z) |dz|$ Represent?

In summary, a line integral involving $|dz|$ is a way to integrate a function over a curve with respect to its arclength.
poissonspot
I don't know if I've ever encountered a differential term with a modulus around it (or if I have, ignored it). Here's an example: $ \int\limits_{\gamma}{\rho(z)}{|{dz}|} $

If it was simply $ \int\limits_{\gamma}{|{dz}|} $ I imagine this is the length of the curve $\gamma $, but what might the above denote, if for instance $ \gamma $ is a rectifiable curve, $ \rho $ a measurable metric?

(for context look here: http://www.math.niu.edu/~fletcher/Fthesis.pdf pg 17)

Thanks

Edit: Also, does the idea $ \int\limits_{\gamma}{|{dz}|} $ being a line integral in the complex plane yielding the length of curve $ \gamma $ sound reasonable?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
conscipost said:
I don't know if I've ever encountered a differential term with a modulus around it (or if I have, ignored it). Here's an example: $ \int\limits_{\gamma}{\rho(z)}{|{dz}|} $

If it was simply $ \int\limits_{\gamma}{|{dz}|} $ I imagine this is the length of the curve $\gamma $, but what might the above denote, if for instance $ \gamma $ is a rectifiable curve, $ \rho $ a measurable metric?

(for context look here: http://www.math.niu.edu/~fletcher/Fthesis.pdf pg 17)

Thanks

Edit: Also, does the idea $ \int\limits_{\gamma}{|{dz}|} $ being a line integral in the complex plane yielding the length of curve $ \gamma $ sound reasonable?

A line integral involving $|dz|$ indicates integration with respect to arclength. Suppose $C$ is a differentiable curve parameterized by $\gamma : [0,1] \to \Bbb C$. Let $f$ be an integrable complex function. Then

$\displaystyle \int_\gamma f(z)\, dz := \int_0^1 f(\gamma(t)) \gamma'(t)\, dt$

and

$\displaystyle \int_C f(z) \, |dz| := \int_0^1 f(\gamma(t)) |\gamma'(t)| \, dt$.

In particular, if $C$ is a rectifiable curve in $\Bbb C$, then $\int_C |dz|$ is the arclength of $C$, as you expected.

Related to What Does the Integral Expression $\int_{\gamma} \rho(z) |dz|$ Represent?

1. What is integral notation?

Integral notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the concept of integration, which is a fundamental operation in calculus. It is used to denote the area under a curve or the accumulation of values over an interval.

2. How is integral notation written?

Integral notation is typically written as ∫ f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function being integrated and dx represents the variable of integration. The integral sign ∫ is also known as the "long s" or "S" symbol.

3. What does the lower and upper limit in integral notation represent?

The lower and upper limit in integral notation represent the bounds of the interval over which the function is being integrated. The lower limit is written on the bottom and the upper limit is written on the top of the integral sign.

4. What is the purpose of integral notation?

Integral notation is used to perform integration, which is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of values over an interval. It is a key concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics and engineering.

5. How is integral notation used in practical applications?

Integral notation is used in practical applications to solve a variety of real-world problems. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the displacement of an object with varying velocity, or the total cost of producing a certain quantity of goods. It is also used in statistics to calculate the probability of a certain event occurring within a given range.